What was I watching.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, lets see if I can descibe this.

I went to watch the hives and as I was pulling up to them on my mower I saw this huge cloud in front of our strongest hive. It was about an hour before dark and the other 4 hives were calm. This cloud was flying all around the entrance and even high in the air. Probably as high as 10 or 12 feet. Thousands of bees. So I just
    sat to observe and in a matter of about 5 minutes they all went back in the hive. They didn't appear to be upset, never buzzed me and I was setting pretty close. The buzzing was pretty loud.

It almost looked like the just wanted to get out of the hive and play around for a few minutes. It was wild.
    I know there was a purpose and I know someone on here can tell me what I saw.

It was cool. The coolest part was watching how fast they went back in. Like their mother called them in

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like orientation flights.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Like G3 says--they're learning the topography, preparing to work hard for you and find their way back to your hive (loaded with nectar and pollen) and no one else's. :grin:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I ran my mower past my hives real quick today to mow the grass in front of them. It did not make them happy...none of them! A huge amount of bees exited all of my hives and then went back in. This happened twice because I had a few swipes to make. I always wear my bee duds when I mow or weed eat by them. A few bees circled my head for a long while....