What went right?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Seems every year, I have something that just does not get done. Of course, there are many things again this year also.

But one of the things I usually have, is a few five frame nucs that I just never get around in combining, since some of them have 2 or 3 frames of bees. They usually die off of course. This year, I started combining early, selling off the excess queens, and have all my nucs in units better for winter than in the past. Some may be still light, but at least they have enough bees.

So what did you do better this year than in the past? Did you try anything different this year that worked out better than planned?

:thumbsup:

2. ski

ski New Member

During mid to late summer my wife found a handful, a small handful of bees with a queen near the brush pile in the yard. I put them in a 5 frame nuc and they are now a five frame nuc 3 boxes high with a good supply of capped stores. Its not a big thing but I had a lot of enjoyment working with them. Now I hope it works out that they make it through winter.

3. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

You must feel good about that Ski to have taken such a small colony to one that has the chance of survival.
    My "went right" thing was rebuilding my colonies from zilch after shb problems back to 7 colonies with swarms.. some only as large as a single frame

Mick

4. ski

ski New Member

Hey Mick,
    I did enjoy working with the small swarm but Rebuilding your colonies sounds like a lot more work. We are in Fall getting ready for winter here so you must be going into spring. So the hives with single frames of bees will be building up for the flow. congratulations on hanging in there, hope you have a great spring flow.
    Ski

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

After looseing 63% of our bees to Nosema Creana in 2008 we are back where we were.
    I raised 15 queens and placed them in nucs bought another 6 of the VSH carnies, captured 28 swarms (gave away one.) So by Sept first we had 87 colonies which I feel are ready for winter.

:D Al

6. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I finally tried my hand a grafting larva, raising queens and trap outs this year. All went well. Got nine fresh queens (out of 12) that I put in hives and nucs for overwintering. Got paid for trapouts ($40 an hour). I'll charge more next year ($60 and hour). Too little? One trap out superceded the new queen, then their replacement was apparently lost and one of the queen cells I put in a mating nuc was lost so I combined those nucs with a 2 deep hive that needed a population boost. That appears to have worked but we'll see if they survive the winter. I got the syrup on earlier this year except for two hives that I'll hit this weekend when it finally gets above 50 degrees here.

The only thing keeping me from feeling too sure of myself is SHB have recently been found 20 miles away.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thankfully I need not itemize the disasters...

what went right?

first, having some idea that this season would be quite disappointing I took off a great number of nucs/splits and sold these in the early spring. kind of a preemptive approach to swarm prevention.

second, largely set on my hands during the 'extemely hot' summer months and very slowly pulled an extemely small crop and picked up the few hives that melted down in the extreme heat. kicked quite a number of dead outs, but did manage to loose only a small handful of frames to moth/shb. fed quite a few weak splits during the hot spell just to keep them growing and the shb somewhat at bay.

third, somewhat following along with Michael Palmer's suggestion (and after the first rains in late summer) I began to make splits and new queens which I can hopefully carry over until next spring. the idea being to getting a head start on creating divides/queen rearling slots before the spring time season' crunch. of course I will need to feed these thru the winter month and the end result will not be know for quite some time.

fourth, acquried my first ai/ii queens and got permitted for the first time as an official queen rearer in texas.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Best thing I did this year was plant about 15 broccoli plants, where I usually plant 3 or 4. I had plenty for me, and periodically, I'd let one go to flower for the bees. I had flowers in the dearth of August. Yesterday I was out harvesting the last side-shoots, and the bees were enjoying the flowers... in October!

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

For the first time we are going into winter with more bees than we started the year with!! We also did our first cut out this year, which went better than we thought it would and the boys are dying to do more. The only problem (other than getting rid of the shb) we see is feeding 4 hives all winter, but at least that's doable.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

That's great!
    I wish you'd tell us all about the cut out you did..... :)

11. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

One of the things I must have done right is that my rebuilt apiary which started at zero at the beginning of the year is now up to 5 hives and 2 nucs. All are extremely strong and bringing in so much nectar that I am again running out of wooden ware!

I have just returned home from 3 1/2 weeks away and all supers are full of capped honey and I am furiously harvesting so that my wooden ware shortage does not leave me having to go and buy more. The 1 hive that went queenless but did have half a dozen queen cells that had been torn open on the last day before I went away now has larva. Only looked at one frame saw larva and decided to let the girls do their thing, devoting my time instead to harvesting. What was interesting was all the time the hive was queenless they kept bringing in nectar and pollen even though there was no egg laying going on

The swarm that took 2 deeps to house now has a full shallow super on it and the top deep has brood covering some of the frames.. something that I have never had to deal with before. The other swarms (that issued from my own hives about 5 weeks ago) in the nucs are bursting at the seams and I have had to put supers on them.

Considering that I only wanted 5 colonies by the end of the renewal stage, the 7 I have now are doing pretty well for city dwellers :thumbsup:

Mick

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll be sure to put up a post about it soon. It really wasn't as big and scary a deal as I would have thought, just tedious work. Iddee's bee vac is the best thing on the planet!!!!!

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

This forum has a whole section just for great stories like that. I'll keep an eye out for yours.

14. Brenda

Brenda New Member

I was able to come back from losing my only hive last winter, to having 2 strong hives going into fall this year.
    I got some free bees by putting out 1 bait hive with a couple frames of brood comb, honey and using bjorn's swarm lure. :D

15. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Great stuff Brenda. Glad you found your way back here.. did you need the GPS?

Mick