What were your best/worst stories of 2013 thus far?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Aug 23, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Lets get this forum going.:club: It's too slow around here.:lol: My best story was a new package that produced 3 supers of honey! That queen made so many bees that I regularly removed bees to help bolster two separate splits and a 2nd year colony. Just gobs and gobs of bees.:thumbsup: Making my first ever splits and then have them thrive would be a close second place. My worst experience was the crappy 5-frame nuc I got from the supplier. Two bare frames and I discovered the queen was probably DOA as the frames that did have some comb were later found to be filled with drone brood from laying workers. I shook all the bees off away from the hive, froze the drone brood and re-queened. The replacement queen never started laying. I kept waiting but finally the bees absconded and the queen disappeared. :crybye:Just an utter and complete failure. If I had to do it again, I probably would have cut my losses and, at most, tried to combine the returning foragers with another hive.

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

My first harvest, in late May early June, from 3 hives yielded 17 gallons of honey. My second harvest is usually complete by now but the rainy weather has caused the bees to slow down and I may not even get a second harvest on 3 hives.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Have gotten only 3 gallons of honey this year and I am hoping it was the raining weather that has put the damper on them for not getting anymore stored, I am just hope they will have enough to make it through the winter. Got two packages of bees this year, one doing good in increasing the no. of bees and doing good in getting ready for winter, but the queen was bad I think in the other and died out, so have lost one this year and one last year. Going to buy one more package for next year and that will be it, and hope for better weather for the bees. The first hive queen will be 3 years old in my first hive, should I replace her next year, sure wish there was a way to retire them instead of killing them, or let them figure it out on their on.

Ken

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Best story?

-Only losing 1 hive out of 29 this past winter
    -Selling twice as many nucs as I thought
    -Honey house is actually up (not yet running, but up)
    -The knowledge I've gained as a casual bee inspector
    -This forum

Worst stories?
    -Going mountaineering over 3 hours away with some of my hives for pollination
    -Only getting a portion of the going rate for some of those contracts
    -Looks like another slim year for honey

5. Tiwilager

Tiwilager New Member

Dumping a deep full of bees didn't make the cut???

Mine are:
    Best: First honey harvest
    Worst: Spring queen problems

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:doh:
    Also, losing my memory! :oops:

7. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Best: Doing inspections with no protective equipment all year and having just three or four stings to show for it. My bees are little angels when it comes to aggressiveness. They are getting a bit hotter now that the nectar flows are over.

Worst: killing a queen in the process of marking her with a drop of nail polish. Also about a dozen things I wish I'd done better (mite management, split timing, re-queening, etc)

Middling: I will be harvesting about as much honey from 3 hives as I got from 1 hive last year.

8. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

My worst story was queens. And it was along one. it started April with swarming and didn't end for over 2 nearly 3 months. I have no idea how many queens I went through this summer.

My best was two fold. one increasing my apiary from 5 colonies to 20. It also included harvesting our first honey. the 4 producing colonies made nearly 300 lbs of honey. Finally the apairy held it's own and I recovered some of the expenses form starting up to boot. I shoudl have done much better but was not prepared. I am for next year.