What would you do??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Big Al must be working on me :shock: . I just found a swarm trap hive (i forgot about) 10 ft. up in a tree (a single deep) in the back forty. They were caught in mid June and built up strong, i haven't looked in them to see if they have enough stores for winter. I was cleaning off the corn field and seen it, and the bees were coming and going. (the leaves are off now) The hive has a solid bottomboard and i don't know weather to leave it or take it to another bee yard this late.Of course curiosity will get the best of me and i'll have to check for stores :confused: . Any advice? Jack

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

How big is it? 5 or 10 frame?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First of all I would cuss out Mr. Zheimer's. Seems I run into him more often lately as well! :lol:
    Check the stores, it will dictate the direction you will have to take.
    Swarm traps, haven't had one work for me yet.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Perry:

I'm wondering if it was one of those round-commercially available "swarm traps" or, if like me he put up a 5 frame nuc box with frames and a lure. I have had luck capturing swarms this way.

I haven't even tried one of the round ones. They look like they would be a nightmare to transfer to a lang. Maybe one of the other forum members has some input?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have tried leaving out empty boxes and nucs in a couple of my yards just to try and catch any of my own swarms and still have no luck. :beg:
    I think Iddee has had them move into empty gear sitting in the back of his truck. :roll:

He is after all, "THE BEE WHISPERER"

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Gunsmith, i use old10 frame deeps that are not in the best of shape with foundation and two or three old frames of drawn dark comb, for a lure i use a cottonball with a few drops of lemongrass oil on it and push it in the entrance. I've had scout bees checking it out before i can get off the labber. tried 5 frame nuc's but had big swarms move in them only two leave in a day or two, haven't had that problem using 10 frame deeps. :thumbsup: Temp. going to be in the sixties the next two days so i'll heft it to see how much stores it has. With the temps. in the 30's at night i couldn't make up my mind (what's left of it) to move it or not. :confused: Jack

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Mike
    Where can I get fondant in bulk. I tried Google and did not find anything.
    In the meantime I am trying dry granulated table sugar over a wet paper towel right now on one hive.

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Zulu,

The company that produces the fondant I use is this site:
    http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Managed ... /Index.asp

The listing is for "regional" distributors. My local (Lancaster Pa.) is not listed. But it is a bakery supply supplier that wholesale and retails Dawn food products.

I have seen fondant go for 100 dollars for 20 pounds tthrough bakery shops. But cut out the middle man, and locate who is supplying the bakery shops (the distributor) and you should be able to find 50 pound blocks in the 40 dollar range.

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Wayne,

Thank you very much for the kind words.

:hi:

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For what it's worth :mrgreen: . i have used the dry sugar method for three years now with good results. Fondant works good to if you can buy it somewere,but if you make it in your wifes kitchen, your home can become like a hot hive. :lol: Dry sugar has been a life saver for me. :mrgreen: Jack

13. cherrykey

cherrykey New Member

thanks for that info. i have used fondant with good results many times but i get it from doc at russell apiaries in 2 pound blocks for 1.50 each. he got me started on it a long time back. try not to ever need it but it sure makes you feel better in case they were lighter than you thought.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The hive probably had enough stores, but i put 10# of sugar on them just in case. It will be intresting to see if they can survive in a single pine box 10 ft. off the ground with cold wind blowing over,under, and all around this winter. :confused: They won't be covered with snow and i didn't put a mouse gaurd on it. (or should i ??) Jack

15. cherrykey

cherrykey New Member

I wrap and switch to top entrances. Have to dig them out of the snow in spring if I miss the chance to keep the snow cleared out all winter which is most every year. :| best advice that I ever took was to leave a super on instead of compacting to doubles and singles. there is an open nest in my porch ceiling that has 6 combs and makes it every winter with 2 to 3 combs of bees. its not the cold that hurts them its the wet and the hunger.