What ya think?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dsnaproll, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

OK, here's my spill.
    I used to do commercial bees years ago and recently started back and my experiences with bees in this local area is nil.

For about a month we had no rain and hadn't mowed our grass around here for 5 weeks. So I was sure we were in a dearth, other Beeks around me says it is, I'm not so sure now. We've been feeding for about a month. Don't care that the Honey made with sugar, we sell bees.

Inspections show they have stores and they are still making bees. About 20% of the bees coming in are loaded with Pollen and there is plenty activity in and out. About 6:00 pm all the bees are returning and hanging out on their front porch. I could go down each hive and pick up a 10 lb ball of bees from each. It's been in the 90's for weeks here.

Now we had some rain and everything has greened-up... had to mow the stinking yard! The clover has bloomed again, can you believe that, and they are hitting it also.

We do have a river 1/4 mile away from the yard that makes a horse shoe around us and gives the bees about 2 miles of quick and easy access. I thought that the river is keeping plants blooming and helping with the nectar flow, even in this dry spell.

What ya think? :confused: And I have no clue where the pollen is coming from.

Dale

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you have a good thing going, but I'm too dense to see the question. What are you asking?

3. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

That's it, do I have a good thing going?
    Where the pollen is coming from?
    Ya think I could stop feeding?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pollen can be found year round. Either fresh or dried. Nectar is found fresh only.
    Are you still taking bees for queen mating boxes? Do you need more bees? The queens will continue to lay as long as supplies "sugar" are coming in.

5. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

Well Iddee, in your questions, you answered mine. No I don't need anymore bees, they're making bees. And you jolted my memory about the color of pollen they are getting. So I think we are in a dearth, but I think this river is really helping me out.

My inspections were just in the top few boxes of each. I think I will have to go to the bottom boxes next time to get the whole story on their condition and adjust from there.

It's been Carolina hot here and my responses are put on the bees in thinking they are in need.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip...
    We do have a river 1/4 mile away from the yard that makes a horse shoe around us and gives the bees about 2 miles of quick and easy access. I thought that the river is keeping plants blooming and helping with the nectar flow, even in this dry spell.

tecumseh:
    many many years ago they did a broad study (read during one of my own tours of duty as a commercial beekeeper) of honey production by approximate location. those hives (and yards) along reparian (sp??? means along a stream) strips always outproduced anything in the upland areas. I always figured moisture and soil fertility would be the obvious differences.

the yards I maintain here close to the Brazos and Little Brazos Rivers alway out performs everything just a bit too far from the river. there are a lot of vines that produce nice flows here that are generally unnoticed except perhaps by some old beekeeper.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i find my bees out on the river do better than my other hives in spring in summer. But the others do better in the fall.

8. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

Thanks y'all. I have never kept bees near water. I started seeing or realized all the bees were flying to the river last week.