what you dont want to find

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well cant stop them all I guess, found this in 1 of my bigger hives today, no clue on when they went, must have been a big swarm too cause the hives half empty, lots of drones around so the hive should build up fast again I hope.

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang, sorry. If it makes ya feel better, I found a dead-out today. I am crossing my fingers that the rest of my hives can stick it out the rest of the winter...

Do you have any of those swarm bucket doo-dads in your trees?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Is the new queen laying already or still a virgin? For curiosity sake how long had it been that you were thru the hive checking for crowding and looking for cells? It might shed some light on how fast a hive can issue swarms. For the benefit of the new beekeepers. Actually the second year beekeepers have more swarming issues than the first years, due to the fact the bees don't have to build all the comb before the queen can lay in it. Comb building controls and slows down brood build up. during the second year the new beekeeper is not prepared for how fast the colony can expand and before they realize it hives are swarming.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the hive is 4 boxes high, 2- deep brood boxes fully built, then a queen excluder and then a deep about half full of honey and all frames built out, then a new med with foundation, they had alot of room but they were doing so well I think the queen just said ok lets make a summer home someplace else :lol:,I stopped 3 others from swarming so 75% is not bad, and by the way this is my last post, I have a forum counter stalker (creapy old guy with a beard) and Im just going to let it hang at 999 (it will drive him nuts,well more nuts):grin:

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Right on Zookeep see you in the chat seen it wont increase your count. Congrats on almost making it there. You are right it will drive him nuts.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"and by the way this is my last post, I have a forum counter stalker (creapy old guy with a beard) and Im just going to let it hang at 999 (it will drive him nuts,well more nuts):grin:"

:lol:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:cool: I see, so that's how it's gonna bee is it? :twisted: Gonna play hardball are we? There are rules you know! :rules:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: