what's a bee hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by fatbeeman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

now comes the new beekeeper,first thing gotta learn new languages. bee gum? nah bee hive oh racks=no frames now the easy part boxes=no supers and hive body's. these you have for beekeeping. next what size? well for us older folks maybe all mediums,why 1 size box 1 size frame all thru bee yard. oh why not 10 frame? because bees seem to build vertically better then horizontally,like in a tree. now get them bees and go to work.

Don

a simple mans way to put it
    :goodpost:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""what's a bee hive?

A lady's hair do..... :p :thumbsup:

3. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

haven't heard that one in yrs.
    good one Iddee :yahoo: :drinks:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That seems to be one of the first biggest stumbling blocks a newbee faces, what type of hive (Lang, top bar, Warre, etc.), what depth (deeps, Illinois, mediums, shallows, maybe even size of top bars), what manufacturer to get frames from, what to put in the frame's (wax, plastic, popsicle sticks, wired, pins), what size cell foundation, size of hive (10 frame, 8 frame, 5 frame, no frame, 36" TBH, 48" TBH), etc. etc..

Seems if they can get past that it is on to the next hurdle, who's bees should I buy, what size package, nuc, queen.

Then it is on to chems or no chems

Feeders

There is just soooo many choices to make for a newbee I guess it can be over whelming. But for the most part the bees really don't care all that much.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dont forget you want russians, NWC, italians, muts etc to populate the hive.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

A hive is a box that a colony of bees lives in. Like your home is the house that you and your family live in.

iddee, that's "hairdo", not "hair do". Just thought I'd let you know. It looked funny to me.