What's everyone building this winter?

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by DLMKA, Sep 26, 2013.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am going to order a couple more deeps and frames and put together for one more package of bees for this coming spring, though of two but decided on one for now.

Ken

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Deeps and mediums for sure, I already have the lumber milled, 400 feet of mediums and 200 feet for deeps. Throw in some bottom boards and a few other misc. things.
    I really have to focus on finishing the honey shack.

3. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

I'll be building a nice warm fire in the mornings... :grin:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

To Perry and any others planning to build out buildings,no matter how big your honey house (or storeage building) is, IT'S NOT BIG ENOUGH.:roll: We bought two John Deer riding lawn mowers (in case one broke down the wife had another one):thumbsup:,we was keeping them in the barn, but we had a 25 ft. by 30 ft. building built behind the house( last year) for them and and other equipment. It's full already:shock:, i'm going to build a work bench and shelves in it this winter along the north wall and probably the south wall for my come in handy items and other junk.One of my brothers say's if he has something laying around he hasn't used it for a year, he either gives it away or sells it.:???: I ask him who would want him.:lol: Jack
    PS. he didn't think that was funny.:lol:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I know what you are saying Jack, I haven't even come close to finishing my honey shack and I already know I could use one 3 times the size. :shock:
    I may do that on the property we picked up, but that will have to wait till I make my fortune selling honey and stuff from the new one that's not finished yet. :roll: :lol:

6. Hawk

Hawk New Member

I've got all the hive woodenware already for next years splits/growth - so this winter I'm focusing on woodworking projects for my wife's company. I'm building almost 1000 sq feet of hydroponic shelves for growing greens.

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

In the words of Kim Flottum in Better Bee Keeping, "...he essentially built his future honey house in his head, based on his goals for growth. And he heeded the advise of nearly everyone he talked to and doubled the space his original plan allotted."
    Perry, sounds like you need to expand before you have even finished!:eek:

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I just picked up a radial arm saw to cut boards to length much faster and easier than on on tablesaw. Should be a lot safer too being a one-man show in the garage.

9. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Always keep safety as your first priority. Boards can be replaced.....

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have had a sear radial saw for 38 years now and it has cut and rip many board feet of wood, so I think you will love it, in fact I don't have a table saw and have use it as one. Only thing that has happen as safety wise was back kick so don't stand directly behind it when ripping.

Ken

11. Zeevah

Zeevah New Member

Well, the Beemobile finally died. For good.

I don't speak "car" but I really, really tried to keep it going.......

When someone pointed out that the muffler was on the ground, I tied it up with a coat hanger. Fixed!

When another person refused to drive behind me on the road, cuz stuff kept falling off (like the bumper) I tied up one side with a bungee cord, and tied up the other side with a piece of electrical wire. Fixed!

(I was actually kinda bummed when that battery charger blew up but hey(!) that burnt piece of wire sure came in handy the next day for fixing the bumper!)

Although I bartered honey to get a new starter and alternator (whatever that is) put in, the ol' truck just quit for good end of Oct. :cry:

But, (other than freaking out about having NO transportation) I just couldn't stand letting go of the truck.

So I decided to turn it into a garden for next spring!!! The bed is already made of old wood, so it's already a raised bed. Just need to make it solid and add some soil and compost and voila! :clapping:

The only problem is----the landlord didn't think it was such a great idea, at all, and said I can't keep a dead truck on the property.

Anyone have any ideas how to "fix" the landlord? ( :box::aikido: :duel:) and get him to change his mind?( :rules:) and let me keep my beemobile/garden??:beg:

Beemobile2.jpg

12. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Zeevah, you have presented a real challenge. I'll throw out a few ideas, maybe some other forum members will come up with better suggestions:
    1. Pay him "dead truck rent" by giving him an agreed upon amount of honey.
    2. Paint it in a color pattern that he likes.
    3. Let him have a share in the yield of the plants grown on the truck.
    4. Allow him to cannibalize the truck for any parts he may need.
    5. Commit yourself to kep the tires filled with air and to wash the body from time to time so that the truck looks as if it's still alive.
    The floor's now available for any other suggestions. Let's hear from you all.....

13. Zeevah

Zeevah New Member

Good suggestions efmesch....

I've already told him I'll keep it clean, and how "cute" it would look with a garden growing (he wasn't impressed)-----but I didn't think about offering to pay "dead truck rent". I hope he will consider it! :beg:

14. jb63

jb63 New Member

You could cut the cab off an put a trailer hitch on it.Then it wouldn't be a truck any more,it would be a utility trailer.

15. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

This is a 1991 model Sears with the digital display for depth, miter, and bevel. Hope to have time to mess with it this weekend. Gonna be 35 and raining cats and dogs so the garage will be a good place to be.

16. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

nucs.jpg

(40) 4-frame medium nucs and (10) 4-frame deep nucs cut out today. Going to use Michael Palmer's method of overwintering nucs with a divided bottom box and 4-frame "supers" above. I'll be building 40 more 10-frame mediums, and 10 deeps yet.

17. Beezly

Beezly New Member

Can you recommend what trailer hitch class should be used if this will be done on the cab? I've been looking at Blue Ox towing. Is it good to buy the SwayPro?

18. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Im gona think you wont get an answer from a 4 year old thread...usually when a truck is made into a trailer, the front of the chassis is custom welded into a trailer hitch, depending on weight of trailer and what you are going to trailer will determine what class of hitch...