What's everyone building this winter?

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by DLMKA, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

[QUOTE=what wood will you use? pine or hemlock? thats the 2 most common woods the amish have in stock most of the time..[/QUOTE

Oak, if possible. There's very little native pine nor hemlock in this part of the country

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

really, oak is a premium wood over on the east coast, and it must weigh in at double of pine or hemlock..how do you find working with oak? do you have much splitting problem as it dries?

3. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I'll be building my first hive this winter...looking forward to it!

5. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

12-frame 20 x 20 that I built two years ago

Attached Files:

6. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

Oh, yeah

SCREENED bottom boards.

Going to get one and use it as a pattern to make more.

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

nice, how do you find the plywood holding up to the weather? did you paint any of the ones you made?

8. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

The plywood holds up fine, I have some with and most without paint.
    However............I find that if the bottom board's exposed grain is front-to-back on the hive it sheds water better ( slight back-to-front incline) than if the grain is parallel to the entrance.
    I've got unpainted bottom boards going on 7 years with no problems.
    But all my hives get full sun till late afternoon, maybe that helps.

9. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

White oak is very long lasting but I question how stable it will be as it weathers. Other species of oak with red heart and white sap wood do not last as well in the weather here unless treated with creosote, oil or other preservative. If you can find it, cypress seems to be the premium hive material these days. I have all cypress from an Amish builder in Tennessee, but it is not the wood was expecting. I thought it was going to be a very heavy dense red wood but I think this is faster grown stuff and it is relatively light soft wood. I have put out some feelers as there is cypress growing around still, though not that much. I think the difficulty is going to be finding someone that segregates it from other timber and will saw it to custom size. One guy i heard about has a woodmizer mill, so that sounds hopeful.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I think I'll just build some frames. and maybe a few more nuc size SBB's and feeder lids

11. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

OK, I give up

What is THAT supposed to be ?

12. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

Seems awfully small for any decent-sized swarm.

13. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

Jeez...wrong side of bed this morning ?
    All I did was make an observation based on my experience with swarms and the sizes there-of.
    Mellow out, as the hippies used to say...........

14. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

Wow, Mr. Grammar Expert:

I've never heard the word 'that' referred to as an expletive. Please, cite your source for this definition !

My use of the word 'seems' is common American usage, 'seems' = 'appears to me'; 'in my opinion', etc. (oh, right, I'm not allowed to have an opinion regarding your device, my apologies for daring to ask questions ).

It appears that asking questions of you has touched a really, really raw nerve, so go on not finding my 'angst' amusing, if that's what trips your trigger; it is obviously a 'hair trigger' (another Americanism, look it up).

15. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Attached Files:

16. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

ok lets back away from the personal insults and get back to bee keeping( all sides) honestly you take things a tad too personal when no one is attacking you just asking questions to verify some info, ...so did you use a chain saw to hollow out that log? im assuming that is a real chunk of tree your using, also can you post a pic without the frames in it to show how they are held in place? that looks pretty cool to blend into the environment on what a swarm would look for..I dont know if the bees here or over by you swarm in different sizes, but would imagine one could take your design and super size it in a bigger tree log as needed....:)
    PS..this forum has been stagnant for a while and seems now we have many new members posting, so lets not ruin what is a great place for info and scare away any potential members by nonsense bickering among members, we are all allowed to have differences of opinions and let it just be that.( all sides again including myself)..;)

Gypsi likes this.
  17. Gypsi

Oh boy. well actually if you can get big cardboard rolls cheap, that medium frames will fit in, that is a swarm trap that readily transfers to Lang equipment.

18. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I would think the cardboard would fall apart after a few rains, the hollow log looks like a natural spot bees would go for, but more difficult to build, a friend upstate was given a honey bee hive in a log cut from a tree that was naturally rotted out to a hollow, unfortunately when they first cut the tree, it was right down the middle of the hive ..

19. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I built our cat an outdoor "bed" out of a sonotube (big cardboard tube) that I coated with outdoor-grade latex paint. Inside is unfinished aside from a mat. Its ~3 years old and has stood up to weather pretty good. That may be an option for Gypsi (paint) to make a swarm trap.

20. Gypsi

I don't need another swarm trap. I like deep nucs, have a couple of them with a screwed on bottom board and a 1 inch drilled hole in front, with the slant being outward so water doesn't get in. They do ok. Until I have more outyards I don't need too many more bees, plus I do removals. Need to combine my last removal with a hive as soon as I check for queen right on that hive, or steal some bees and brood and overwinter them as a nuc with a box on top of feed.