What's going on here?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beebuzzed, Jul 27, 2016.

1. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

My first thought was european foulbrood and maybe it is, but I am starting to have doubts. I noticed the last time I was in the hive about 2 weeks ago I started seeing spotty brood and was suspicious. I had also recently noticed their numbers seem to be dropping. I had a min to give it a quick peak yesterday in a couple of frames. It was very spotty and dead larvae in some cells. I got in it today and pulled all the frames of brood and replaced the with new frames and pinched the queen to replace her. As I have the frames in my basement I noticed some of the larvae slowly are expanding out of their cells. Looking closely at the frames now I am wondering if it is something else. I don't really see any issues with the adults. I did the toothpick test to many cells and never had any roping. Some of the larvae is maybe a little yellowish. Most of the dead are laying straight out on the bottom of the cells, and others died earlier and are still in the c shape. Any ideas to what this is?

Attached Files:

2. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

May not be the best pictures.

Attached Files:

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I pulled 10 frames out like these.

4. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I did see a mite crawling on a larvae that was hanging out of the cell thinking possible PMS but again not seeing issues with adults.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

Hard to tell from the photos. I think one photo is maybe upside down or all all the dead brood at the top of the cells? In any case, I would cut some out and send it to Beltsville. I would also put some terramycin on the hive as I strongly suspect EFB. here's the address and instructions: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7472

6. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Camero got it covered. Send samples to Beltsville. Use the terramycin. And you did good pulling the frames and pinching the queen for a requeen.

(I did not requeen as there was nothing wrong with my queen, my bee inspector attributed the drought/dearth no flow so bored nurse bees keeping larva they should toss and I had brought in infected comb from a bee tree. BUT if your bees rob a hive with it they can bring it home themselves..)

8. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Well I got the results today and my first thought was correct with EFB. I had spoken with the local beekeeping store and she had recommended me to not use the terramycin as the local inspector hasn't been having any luck with it. She has been having good results from the vitamin C. Provided in the Honey B Healthy which I have been using. The new queen has been laying eggs and I have added some adults from another hive to help the dwindling numbers. Hoping they will pull through this. On a positive note, I did just capture my first swarm with a bait hive I built, so worse case hopefully it balances out.

9. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

do you have plans or pictures for your bait hive?

10. camero7

camero7 Member

I would not rely on HBH to cure the problem. If terramycin is not effective in your area I'd use Tylosin.

11. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

12. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Have you used this product to treat EFB yourself? Also where do you purchase?

13. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

14. camero7

camero7 Member

efb

I don't have EFB in my hives at this time. It's been about 5 years since I've seen it. I used Terry and it cleared right up.

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I used terramycin, melted my wax, ate my honey and fed my girls sugar water. I started with one infected hive and robbing managed to infect all of mine, by the time I realized what it was, courtesy of Riverbee formerly on this forum, all of my hives and my neighbors were infected. I was told by the local inspector to just requeen and use meds. I was told by an old and wise beekeeper to start them on clean frames with sugar water while I treated. Since my queen was young and healthy I took option 2. It worked. I got the privilege of treating my older neighbor's hive similarly as he was out of town when the crisis hit, and leaving his infected would have reinfected mine due to robbing as his declined.