What's going on

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 6, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For years now, when i take comb honey supers off i wrap them in a plastic trash bag and put them in the deep freeze. After 3 days i take them out(let them thaw out) and process them, i make chunk honey in qts. and pints (no problem) the comb honey i put in 8 oz. and 16 oz. plastic containers with lids are granulating?? It's been my practic to put them back in the deep freeze after i process it in a cardboard box and take it out as i need it for the farmers market. Well some of it granulates in the deep freeze? The containers that haven't granulated (that didn't sell at the farmers market) i tried putting it back in the deep freeze, and also tried leaving it in the sun room till next week, but it granulated anyway :confused: . This is comb honey left in the deep freeze from last year, but i've only had this problem the last two years. The comb honey in the qt. and pt. jars are just fine, i thaw them out and add the honey when i need them.I Didn't think frozen honey could granulate, anyone else ever had this problem. :confused: Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have kept comb honey in the freezer for long periods of time and have never experienced this problem.

1) some kinds of honey granulate easily... like sunflower (I know) and rape seed (I am told). do you perhaps have any of that around?

2) are you certain your freezer is operating at the desired temperature? although frozen honey doesn't granulate MOST honey when held at refrigeration temp will.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

No rape fields around, i do have wild sunflowers around that i see them working but not enough that it would be just sun flower nectar (i don't think :confused: ). My wife thinks that some of the comb honey that doesn't sell at the Farmers Market (once a week) that we put back in the freezer two to four times could be the problem? Could freezing and thawing it out several times (for around 7 hrs.) be the problem :confused: . Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I personally don't think wild sunflowers would produce enough nectar to create a problem. just for you information.... canola is a variety of rape seed that is now grown in a lot of locations.

the in and out of the freezer theory sounds quite plausible... or at least a part of the problem. that is a large warm mass might effect 'the average' temperature within the freezer.

I would likely check the freezer with a thermometer just to see if that isn't the other part of the problem.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

wild sunflowers are a good source of pollen comercially grown sunflowers will produce tons of honey. I like to make my cut comb honey in the spring I have noticed the spring flow usually will not granulate as fast as the fall harvest in our area

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rat,what variety of sunflower would you recomend if say you wanted to plant an acre.I don't know much about sunflowers and was wondering if an acre would produce much nectar (if the weather was right) :confused: . Jack

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

they have been growing a lot of sunflowers down here the last 4 years. The sunflowers grown commercial are connfection sunflowers. I can Put 20 hives on a area that has 3 or 4 fields that was planted at different times usually in a 40 acre fields and average 3 to 4 medium supers off each hive. a lot of it depends on the weather and time of year. I have put hives on sunflowers only to have them go across the road to the cotton bloom