What's going on?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 29, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Was doing inspections today when my wife called and said there was swarming going on in the backyard. Nothing I could do till I was finished work. By the time I got home there were 2 separate swarms in our grape bush. I caught them both (found the queen in each), and put them in nucs because they were not overly huge. This was the second day this has happened, and they seem to all be coming from the nucs I had made up that were raising their own queens after rejecting the expensive ones. :roll:
    I always thought the first one out does in the rest (as I went through to see which nuc one of them came from, I actually watched one doing in one of her sisters through the side of a cell) or at least they duke it out till one remains. It seems as if mine all decide to run instead of fight and bees go with them.
    What's up with that?
    What I did was to go through as many nucs as I had time, and started corralling the virgins and leaving a cell to try and head this off. I now have 5 virgins sitting in a shoebox on the dining room table.
    Virgins.jpg

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow, that is crazy Perry! I can't understand these bees some times.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm looking forward to the more experienced ones thoughts on this. I can't imagine Perry letting the nucs get overloaded before moving them into hives, so there must be something else going on.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

I think you need some mating nucs Perry.:grin: P.s. I checked my 3 frame nuc today and they were packed so I moved them to a five frame nuc.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Perry is in the queen rearing business. Sometime you are forced to grasp any opportunity that presents itself.

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Perry, All I can suggest is to think about how the bees respond in a no brood situation. As far as I can tell at the fist opportunity they will build cells and do their thing.

If you think about it you can add brood to a queenless hive via a frame of eggs or via a new queen. But as far as I can tell they are going to react the same way once they have those eggs. I woldl just keep taking the brood these expensive queens have and putting them back with just a few bees. Until they finally give up on the requeening urge.