Whats good to spray after cutout.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yankee11, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I just got a call from the folks trying to tear down that barn where we removed 8 colonies.

They still cant get in there because of bee's. He called and described to me what sounded like a swarm now. A ball of bees 2ft by about 3 ft long just one the side of a wall.

Anyway, I think I may need to go spray down the cavaties where we did the cutouts. I know its attracting more bees. What can I get locally to do this with. Can't wait on a mannlake order.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Go get the swarm and it should be over. No need to spray anything. The swarm was likely just a coincidence.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

He called and said it's gone now (probably moved into another wall cavity). But all the workers are getting stung. He said bees all over the walls where we did the cutouts.

He said he got stung 3 times yesterday. I bet every bee within 3 miles can smell these 8 opened up hives.

What about just some soap and water in a sprayer and spray the cutout walls down.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have heard almond oil is a put off for bees. Have not used it but memory says I read somwhere it can be used to drive bees out of honey supers.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Raid, soapy water, sulfur in a smoker..... There's many ways to kill them, or just wait until they get the spilled honey cleaned up and they will go away.

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

I'm trying to get them to wait, but they are a week and a half behind getting started on tearing this building down.

We'll see what they say tomorrow. I'm betting they find more colonies once they get back in there.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

They sure had bees! If I feel like the bees are going to return, bad as I hate to do it, I lightly put a little sevin dust INSIDE the cavity of the house, before the final boards go up. I hate it. I feel like a traitor, but it is not as bad as poisoning the honey and killing every pollinating insect for miles.

Having determined only robbers were left on Saturday's cutout, we closed it up tight but did nothing in the way of poison, not even sulfur