What's Happening? Let us know you're here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Thought I'd start this to see where it goes.

I've been cleaning up after a big wind blew through a week ago. Blew some roof off the workshop and took a couple of BIG limbs from an Ashe Juniper and Black Willow (why is it that chain saws never start when you need them, but start fine when you're just checking them out?) Ended up using a Sawsall and extension chords to get most of the Juniper.

The girls made it fine through the storm. Today I think I shall try and get the chain saw to work. :grin: What's happening with you?

Walt

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Still working in NJ (northern Sussex county) every week. Moved all the bees home to NE Alabama. Don't know if I'll have any in Jersey next year... bears, short season. Jersey is complaining about low pollination though. Lot of folks would pay to rent a garden nuc.

Bee year 4. I am ready for the learning curve to flatten a bit.

Concerned with light stores. It's like the honey disappears from one inspection to another. Feeding like crazy, trying to prepare for winter. Hives at the office are getting 2-3 quarts a week of heavy syrup. The ones in the woods... well I made a mess of the first baggies, but have some HD freezer bags for the next trip.

I have made the decision to go chemical free al la Michael Bush, I have become convinced that the bees are smarter than I am about just about everything, so why not trust them about pests? I will do the fat man beetle traps and essential oils. I was doing the powered sugar for mites, but am now switching to solid bottom boards. We shall see.

So, here it is not Halloween, yet, and I'm already thinking about where I want to get spring queens... obviously hooked for another year.

3. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Ibee, if the learning curve ever flattens, let me know...I am amazed at how little I continue to know. :grin:

Walt

4. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I guess people just don't like to post on this forum. :cry: 702 views and 2 posts, one of which is mine? Oh well, guess I'll just go and clean up the black willow...fixed the chainsaw.

Walt

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My chainsaw went to the grave last week. Broke the crankshaft. Had to buy a new one. It starts right up.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Getting the last cutting of hay on the ground. Cut bout 35 acres sat and about 15 this evening. Will start baling sometime tomorrow after the dew gets off of it.

7. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Hi guys, thanks for stopping by.

Got some of the downed trees taken care of, but damaged the bar sprocket in the process. :mad: Now waiting for a bar assembly.

Walt

8. BKF

BKF Administrator Staff Member

I've just been repairing friendships.

By the way, I'm Angie, as the Admin of the forum. The old Admin is off somewhere else as the forum is part of the Carbon Media group now. It basically is just background stuff, and Me.

If you need help, send me a PM.

9. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I'm in and out occasionally.
    Job change & schedule change resulted in much less time for bee forums.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

what does all of tat mean?

11. BKF

Oh, not much, G3farm. Some folks were gone for awhile and hoping we get a few to visit again and some new people and give everyone someone to discuss honey, hives, combs and other such sweet things with :thumbsup:

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Busy year recovering from winter losses, going into winter with 28 hives.
    Plan to plant some garlic next weekend, before freezing temperature kicks in.

13. camero7

camero7 Member

I check in regularly. Getting ready to bring my nucs home and wrap for the winter. Lots of rain here lately.

14. Minz

Minz Member

I check in on a couple of bee forums pretty regularly and was shocked to see how little is posted on this forum! If I go more than I couple of days the others get so many pages that I end up scanning the titles rather than even reading them.
    I am taking 15 into the winter. Pouring down rain here and only got my Techwrap inner cover insulation cover on about 4 of them. Still not wrapped any of them and have about 3 going in light. So far though I have been feeding 2:1 for about a month and think I am in decent shape.

15. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Well...we planted garlic a few days ago, and tomatoes and peppers are doing fine. Planted lettuce, beans, and a few other things in a small fenced garden that keeps the bunnies away.

The bees were quite active today; a lot of goldenrod in bloom and you can sure tell it by the smell from the hives. :lol: Temps here have been quite warm with highs in the 80'sF and lows in the 50'sF. I'm going to leave one super on each hive for the winter, just as insurance. I did that last year and everything worked out OK.

Glad to see more posts on this forum. I think I should give Angie a big "Thank You".

Walt

16. BKF

Thanks Walt. I'm not knowledgeable about bees. But I do know they are very necessary to the food chain. And I expect to learn more as I check in during the day.

I know I have a beeswax candle that is wonderful. They do so much for us.

Minz - we working on giving you more to read when you check in. Would love for you to help out along the way.

17. BKF

I've read in places that this may be the time to move hives if you are going to move them.

Now this fascinates me, the thought of knowing the Queen bee and getting her and causing so many others to move. Is that hard to do?
    I'll have to see if there is a thread about that, or if someone could start one for new bee people.

18. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I think, maybe, it was said that fall was the time to move hives is because the bees aren't foraging as they would during a good flow. The bees don't move by themselves, the building goes. There are several methods from moving the entire hive to moving a box at a time. Michael Bush has a pretty complete tutorial on moving bees: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm

Walt