What's up with that?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping Biology' started by crackerbee, May 17, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Last Feb. I planted all these wildflowers to give a little color to the backyard,and so the bees would have a little extra flowers to forage.I've had a dozen or more different kinds of flowers bloom,of every possible flavor,but the bees won't have anything to do with it.I see wasps and bumblebees all in it,but have seen only one bee frequent the flowers.This plot is only 15ft. from my veggie garden,and the bees(you can tell from the harvest I had in my garden thread)are all over the veggie garden ,but not the wildflowers.There were a lot more different flowers a month ago,and that's when I saw the only bee that I know of to frequent the flowers.
    Does anyone have any insight why this is?

Here's pics of what I planted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Some sunflower type flowers the bees don't work. Like you i have large areas with those type of flowers and never see a honey bee on them. :confused: This has been a strange year for me, earlier this spring there was not a flower to be seen but they were filling the frames with nectar, then it turned cold and they had to eat it and i even had to start feeding :roll: . Hopefully last night was the last cold spell we'll have this spring (broke our record 37F). The good thing about trying to figure all this out, is it keeps the mind active and delays alzhemiers. :thumbsup: Jack

3. Omie

Omie New Member

The bees are simply finding other stuff blooming nearby that they like better. :)
    I have some very bee-attractive blooms in my garden, like anise hyssop. One week the honeybees will be all over them, the next week not a bee on them, the week after that bumblebees and butterflies on them, then the honeybees come back to them- makes little sense until I walk around town and see the same pattern on other plants and trees- they are going where the goods are most appealing that particular week. :)

What a wonderful garden and yard you have! :thumbsup:

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

When we moved to our present home there were already a couple of purple Vitex shrubs here. We brought two white ones that we started from cuttings. The bees are all over the white while the purple has none. Go figure. WOMEN! :)

Walt

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

You didn't say what was in the wildflower mix. I see some Gallardia for sure. Since honey bees are European, they tend to not forage on our native wildflowers. Where as you will see the native bumble bees all over your wildflowers. That has been my experience anyway. Next year you could try cosmos, zinnias and catnip.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I'm really not sure what was in the wildflower mix srvfantexasflood(I'm more of a veggie gardener) ,I bought the mix from Hirt's seeds under bee and butterfly wildflowers.It never occurred to me the bit about them being European and preferring flowers that are indigenous to their homeland(and as the others said,more or less what ever they feel like frequenting),maybe next year I'll try the ones you suggested,I don't think they would survive the brutal Summer Florida heat,if I plant them now.

Thanks all for the info ,and for the compliment Omie :D

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ya' should have planted onions. most folks can not imagine how honeybees will mob an onion bloom. in quantity you might even be able to havest a variety honey that I will name 'french onion soup honey'.

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Tec, I will have to try that! It is strange how bees seem to have preferences over their food choices. Sometimes, I can tell that they are working one kind of bloom because of the quantity or quality of the nectar compared to other blooms that are available. Other times, the only thing I can figure is that some types of nectar just "taste" better to them or they can see it better. You never know for sure.

It looks like you have alot of black-eyed susans in there and I've never seen them on one of those, don't know why.