What's up with this?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BackyardBeez, Jun 21, 2013.

1. BackyardBeez

BackyardBeez New Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to bees too. I'm a residential keeper with one hive and will only have room for one more. Besides having healthy bees I hope to stir interest in others to have backyard hives, for everyone's sake. I just got my first colony 4 days ago. It's a healthy colony with a young active queen and good size brood started already. Each day I have found only one dead bee off the front porch. One was a full grown drone and others were ladies. Today I found this. A friend believes it's a pupa and I tend to agree. No wings, legs present but lying down, bald, big eyes... Is it unusual to find dead pupa? Is it a bad sign? Is it most likely a drone pupa? Do they eliminate a drone pupa on purpose? Anything else you can tell me? Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Good normal hygenic behavior. For what ever reason the pupa passed a way. The bees removed her from the hive. Usually when this happens they will take hold of the pupa and fly it out several yards from the hive to prevent the possible spread of any disease.

3. BackyardBeez

BackyardBeez New Member

There are no mites visible in the hive. If a mite had killed it would the mite be inside the body? Since they only dropped it over the edge of the porch then it's likely not diseased?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

mights are visible on drone pupa without opening up the pupa. They are attached to the bee. No telling why it died and if there is just one wouldnt worry to much about it. One or two can be normal