Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good News!!! :Dancing:
Hope I am not celebrating too quick, but I just now came in from going into that hive and found my queen alive and looking pretty good! There seemed to be about as many bees as what would be a package of bees left. They were quite active and putting the syrup in the cells. So what I did was take off the bottom hive body and brush out all the dead bees, I combined my two hive bodies into one hive body and then put a top feeder on it and took the two boardman feeders off and squished the entrance to the tiniest size. So I hope and feel that they may have a chance to come back. It will be like starting over again.
I was so happy to see the queen, now I feel they have a chance.
Boy did I learn ANOTHER lesson in keeping bees - do you ever get to a point when you have it TOTALLY figured out???...dumb question! :confused:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
""do you ever get to a point when you have it TOTALLY figured out???""

Of course you do. I've been at it for 35 years and I'm sure I'm 25% of the way there........ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
when I have 'it' totally figured it out I will no longer be a bee keeper. the mystery of the unknown is a large part of the appeal of bee keeping for me. the very first time I looked down into the swirling mass of workers in a bee hive I thought to myself 'there is plenty there to figure out even if I did this for the rest of my life'.

there seems to be some confusion here about the nature of manipulations... ie reversing boxes and removing entrance closures are not one and the same thing. this spring (here in Texas) is almost a text book case of a very unusual season where unless you are feeding the queen is never pushed back down and the active brood cluster continues it's upward movement. left to their own devices and once the bottom box is empty from everything besides pollen the demise of a hive by shb and wax worm should not take that long. if the brood nest moves up far enough, litter in almost all hives quickly accumulates which increase the habitat for shb and wax moth and speeds up the hive's destruction.

this is a very unusual spring here which may not reoccur again in my life time, but the same situation occurs in almost all my hives in the late summer in 'a typical season' (<which in Texas is never going to happen). This is at least part of the reason why I reverse twice a year and not once.

ps... at the point where the hive's brood cluster is at or near the bottom board and the reversing never takes place, the process does give you excellent information in regards to at least one component of hygienic behavior.

and finally a note to Arkiebee.... your manipulation may or may not have created the problem (which is good warning to everyone that there is always a risk in any manipulation) but I suspect (with little doubt) that your final manipulation plus feeding likely saved this hive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks tech - I certainly hope so. I went out yesterday and they were buzzing outside their "little" hive like nothing has happened. I ended up putting syrup on all of them and we have rain again today.

I LOVE the rain - and being a farmer we all do - but we do need a break. We have had such high water here, and Bull Shoals Lake is almost at it's top like it was a couple of years ago. Forget camping at the lake...for now anyway unless this stops and they can drop it.

This is the highest we have seen the creek (that runs through our farm) get in MANY years. Somewhere between our farm and the lake, there is a red hay ring and feed trough! It got that high!! :( :shock:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That's great Arkiebee. The hive that is.
We haven't had what I call really high water where I live since the 90's.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Same here Arkiebee, the creek that runs through my farm got out of it's bank but never made it to my bee yard, but close ( i've seen it higher) :beg: It was cool and cloudy yesterday for our bee club outing, but the rain held off till today and it's cold out. It feels like it could snow (sorry for the four letter word) beginning to wonder if warm weather is going to get here. :confused: Jack

21 - 29 of 29 Posts