what's wrong with my top entrance?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by pistolpete, Jul 26, 2013.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I introduced a top entrance on my hive about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but the bees refuse to use it. I guess they didn't read the manual I supplied. The other two hives use the top entrance no problem. Just wondering what the issue could be. This hive did not have a top entrance for over a year, but you'd think the bees would not remember that:) The entrance is a 1" hole in the bottom of the first super that lines up with short tunnel through the wall of my bee shed. There is a small landing board on the outside.

2. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I've seen otherhives use the top entrance but mine just ignore it for the Most part. I have no idea why.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Is it still open? I have seen bees that will propolize the top entrance as soon as it is provided to close the gap so it dose not need to be guarded.

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

There's probably nothing wrong with your top entrance.....It's there and if they want or need to, they'll use it. What is in your top box? If it's just foundation or empty frames that aren't being filled/worked/drawn, they may not even be going up to where the entrance is. If for some reason you really want them to use the top entrance, you can block the bottom entrance and they'll quickly start using the top one. But don't do that if you have a queen excluder in the stack, or the drones will die in the hive....I'd say just leave it and let them use it if they need it.......

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

how strong is the hive. They will eventually use the top entrance once the hive has built up and are in the supers. Another question is were is the bottom entrance in comparison to the bottom

6. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

The hive is inside a garden shed (mostly because bee keeping is not strictly speaking legal where I live). It is a strong wintered hive. I put the brakes on them in the spring by taking away 2 4 frame Nucs, but they have filled 3 deep supers so far this year. I took away a full super to give to the Nucs. So as the hive sits now it's:2 deep brood boxes, 1 full and capped deep super, 1 full and 50% capped deep super, 1 empty super. No queen excluder. The top entrance is in the bottom of the 1st super. It's a long trek to that 5th deep box, so I thought they'd be all over the short cut, but I don't see any bees using it. I checked, they have not propolised the entrance at all, there are a few bees quarding it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a doctor buzz snip..
    you can block the bottom entrance and they'll quickly start using the top one

tecumseh...
    that is at least what I would try although I am now wondering what you mean by 'the top entrance is in the bottom of the 1st super < is it a whole or a imirie shim or what?

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I use the All Season inner covers. Love them. I place them on top of my supers that way during nectar flow they have a short walk to store for honey. I followed the directions when I made mine but will be making my opening around 3" cause they come and go soo much they are falling off each other.