What's Your Bee Plans for 2013

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Feb 16, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

It's my 2nd year and I plan on having 4 Hives this year. Started with one last year, then ended up with 2 more for a total of 3.

Lost one so I am packaging the one I lost and buying another Hive kit to build and package so that means I'll have 4 Hives in 2013!

How about everyone else?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

29 (so far) and hope to maybe hit 50 if all goes well. :thumbsup:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

8 hives now. Hopefully will be able to split all. Have made arrangements for 3 out yards, starting with 2 hives at each place.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

43 hives atm but real plan is a honey house if I ever figure out what I need to be legal to sell honey out of the local stores, as far as the local govt, not only does 1 hand not know what the other is doing, I dont think they know the other hand even exists :lol:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Had one hive last year and got a swarm. So far, both have made it through the winter. Thought I'd try a couple of packages this year. They're due in April.

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have just three hives at home and a few parked in with my son's 30 but that is 300 miles away. I will likely have to make some splits on mine to prevent swarming but will buy some new queens. Want to try to make a few queens too later in the summer and get some nucs going to draw out comb, but really dont want to take more than 6 into the winter. I want to quit (growing) before it becomes a task rather than fun. If you only have one or two, a person is reluctant to experiment and there is too much angst with every decision.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Those are good points. :)

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I have 7 hives now, down from 17 in November.
    There are 3 full sized hives and 4 real strong nucs.
    First I'd like the remaining hives to survive the month lol.
    I'd like to be successful at grafting some queens then taking 1 of the strong hives and breaking it down into as many nucs as it will comfortably produce.
    I'd like to get 1 split each off the remaining two big hives and grow the 4 nucs into booming honey producers.
    I have a cut-out to do if it survives the winter and I'm picking up 2 Russian nucs from a member of this association http://www.russianbreeder.org/index.html

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

humm..... perhaps a semi load to take to the almonds by fall. nah... sounds a bit ambitious to me.

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Have one good strong hive now, planning to split this spring or middle of March and got two package coming so 4 hives after the first week in April, be all I can handle, maybe 5 but no more.

kebee

11. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

i'm with you, kebee. i have 2 hives now, hope to have 2-3 more. that will be plenty for me, too.

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have 5 hives now. Will probably sell my strongest for a good price to a good friend, his best shot at having honey. Building the others up for my own honey production, may do a couple of splits, know where there are a couple of removals to be done. I do not want more than 10 hives here, and am not sure where I would want to put others offsite, Rhome got rain, so maybe out there.

13. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

This will be the third year. The learning curve has been steep.

I lost both hives and a budding swarm late last summer in a combination of bizarre heat, aggressive pests, neighboring herbicides, and rookie over-meddling on my part... but not before I got my first good honey harvest. I am hooked.

So, this year will start again with 1 nuc, 1 pack, and a baited swarm box... and my resolution to be a better bee daddy. Hopefully, I have learned something along the way.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

To finish my second season with at least 10 langs and 5 tbh's. Splitting for the first time.

15. pturley

pturley New Member

I may be down to three of four hives in the back yard and four possible removals scheduled this spring. I have two more beeyards to use this coming season so if I make it up to a dozen or so hives by the end of this year, I wouldn't have any objections...

16. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[FONT=&quot]Coming Soon
    Hive Management, Swarm Control with 2 Queen Hives.
    Coming soon to a new thread. working at getting it all together.
    [/FONT]

17. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I feel bad because I had 3 nucs reserved by folks wanting bees but I had to inform them to secure other sources. I just won't have enough this time.

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sadly Eddy, this has become a part of beekeeping as of late. At least you let your customers know ahead of time instead of stringing them along. :thumbsup:
    It can happen to anyone. :|

19. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

Started with one last spring. Split it mid March, then purchased two Nucs and went into Winter with 9 after more summer splits and LOTs of sugar (All Langs). Lost two this winter, so first i'm hoping the remaining 7 survive. Plan to allow the strongest 4 by mid April to be honey producers. Will divide the other three into Nucs that can build during honey flow (cut down on sugar cost from last year). Will purchase a package to put in my first Top Bar Hive.

PBK

20. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I have one full size hive, two 5 frame nucs with med boxes on top of them and a TBH. My plan for the full hive is to harvest honey from it for the first time this year. I also have a plan to try something a bit different for it's build up and swarm prevention as well. Basically based around Walts book on nectar managment. My problem form the get go is do not have drawn empty frames. I will have to experiment with the whole idea a bit and se if I can entice the bees to draw comb as well.

The nucs I have the same goal for as the nuc I got last year. simply get them built up to full size colonies.

The TBH I am putting up for sale.

I also have a trap out that I installed late last summer and never had the time to get the job finished. So I will be checking back on it and attempting to get that complete. this should result in a 5th colony at least.

I also plan to try my hand at grafting and some queen rearing. I want to try out different grafting tools. different mating nuc designs etc in order to settle in with what equipment best suits me.

I also wanted to get started with II but it sems that plan is going to be delayed yet another year. My wife has decided to go back to school and her tuition is going to take away any money I had for purchasing II equipment.

I also wanted to purchase breede quens from several of the lading producers of queens this year in order to replace the quens in my 4 colonies. that also will not be happening at least for now.