What's your take on All Mediums?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Adam Foster Collins, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

Do you like the idea of one size fits all?
    Do you run all mediums in your apiary?
    Do you plan to?
    Are you against the idea of all mediums?
    If so, why?

I'm expanding into langs this season, and I'm looking to decide the best approach to gear.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im using 1-9 and a 6 for brood then all 6 inch for honey, there is allot of beeks out there that use all mediums, easier on the back from what I understand :lol:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

one of my very much commercial mentors told me it was what he hoped to do when he retired. I don't know if he did or did not???

Currently I run deeps, mediums and shallows. I am an equal opportunity bee keeper. Each has their + and -. The only reason I can imagine that all mediums might be a limitation is if you want to make up a few deep nucs to sale. Cost per box might be one primary concern since the components in one box are about the same... obviously it takes two shallows to make one deep so your cost per volume to house bees would be about double the price of deeps.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I used deeps for brood in the past. Last year I went to all mediums. It has worked well to only have one size to manage.

5. rast

rast New Member

2 years ago I started going to all one size, 7 5/8". I like it.

6. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Rast, where do you find 7 5/8 stuff? Hmmmm, if I had a 7 5/8 to work, the only thing I wouldn't have would be the old 12+ Dadant deeps.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Mann Lake LTD sells 7-5/8 boxes

8. rast

rast New Member

I can also get them from Dadant here in Fl. But last time just got deeps and cut them off cause I needed spacers for pollen patties. I also bought two 1/2 ton truck loads of 7 1/2" and 9 1/2" cypress boxes and cut or added to make em 7 5/8.

9. rast

rast New Member

Also, as usual, Tec is right. Seems as though most new beeks want to buy deeps.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

My take on all mediums is, in a nutshell, "I wish I had known about it sooner." I probably would have gone that way, but I was taught by a traditional deep-and-shallow man. Plus the fact that I bought my first hive in the equipment sort of pushed things the traditional way. No regrets this way.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What Hobie said, no regrets either (yet, my back isn't getting any younger).

12. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

I'm having a really hard time deciding.

I can easily see the benefit of a single size, in terms of flexibility. But there are three key issues that make it hard:

1 - Deeps are the norm for brood. That means buyers and sellers are usually in deeps - and that means a compatibility issues somewhere.

2 - I do believe that bees are going to do a little better with that larger comb in the brood area - more honey/pollen and brood space per comb. Not a huge issue - but an issue.

3 - I have 11 deep boxes piled up outside which I came upon easily through other beekeepers.

Adam

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Use what ya got.

I use deeps for brood, mediums for honey, although-like you-I inherited some used woodenware. I have several shallow (western) supers that I will use until I phase them out and use all mediums for honey. I plan to continue to use deeps for brood.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I never owned a shallow or medium until I passed 50. All deeps make for easy interchange, large harvest, and fewer pieces to buy. I did break down and go to mediums for honey post 50, when weight gain and age started telling on me.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Adam:
    After much thought, I think you should go all mediums (and throw out those 11 deeps next time you are driving through Wolfville) :shock: :lol:

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Or better yet, Adam:

The next time you're through Wolfville, stop and trade Perry your deeps for some of his mediums :rolling:

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In Israel, deeps is the norm for just about everyone. I can't remember ever seeing anything else. This, of course makes for interchangeability not only in your own apiary, but also with others. It is sometimes rough on the back, but if you keep at it enough, it can help with the waistline.

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like tec, i have every combination of hives. Many times i have gone to my out apiaries and not have the box that i need,if i need a deep, i only have med.with me ect., so i can see having only one type of hives would be a plus. :thumbsup: Also my back is telling me, the bees are putting more honey in those deeps than they use to. :lol: Jack

19. rast

rast New Member

And the bees are bigger and weigh more also. Right? :lol:

20. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:

Yeah rast, global warming is contributing to bees getting bigger and heavier. :rotfl: