When and how to move.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Boykins, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Boykins

Boykins New Member

When I set up my hives, I was advised that they should have evening shade, I now realize they have to much shade. Now I need to know the best way to move them. I will be moving them about 200 yards. I would also like to know if I should move them now or wait for warmer weather. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Here's what i did when i moved my hives. Probably ought to be a little warmer than it is now. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4777

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Move them two feet at a time or move them when the sun is down and put a branch or something in front of the entrance so they all have to reorient.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

UK newbees are advised to use the rule of 3.
    If you move the hive upto 3 foot the foragers will return to the new position.
    If you need to move more than 3 foot (ie 200yds) then you should move them 3 miles, allow the bees to work from the new site for 3 (?) weeks. Next, you move the hives back to your desired new home.

I am sure there could be an easier method to overcome the homeing instinct. Good luck. :eek:ldtimer:

5. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Do not know if I moved mine the way you are SUPPOSE to move, but it worked for me. I moved mine fifty yards. Late one evening they were almost all in, dusk. I put the entrance reducer in to the closed position and moved it to the new. Opened it up and some came out, not many. Some continued to hang around old stand area but soon all moved over or left. Didn't seem to stress them at all. Maybe I just got lucky. Very new to this.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I moved two of my hives 300 yards in different directions last fall. I did it all at once.

I had a handful of bees visiting the old location for a day or three and then all was back to normal.

Just move them when it's warm enough and be done with it.

I did mine at night and used a robber screen that allowed me to close the hive entrance.

New bees are being born everyday and new foragers come out everyday to join the workforce.

Good luck!