When are inner covers worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by omnimirage, Jul 12, 2016.

1. omnimirage

omnimirage New Member

I've never been taught to use an inner cover, rather to use a "hivemat" instead. I see a lot of people use inner covers, but surprisingly, I can only find a limited information on their actual uses, advantages and disadvantages. I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to invest in inner covers for my hives. Under what circumstances would it be best to use an inner cover? Under what circumstances would it not be best to use one?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

I've never used them so I can't say much about them. I use migratory covers. They are quick, cheap and are easy to use.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Pros:
    • better moisture/condensation control
    • better temperature control & options (e.g., vented attic)
    • better feeding & treatment control options (e.g., mountain camp feeding)
    • bees do not glue down top lipped top cover (no real advantage if you are using migratory covers like cam)
    Cons:
    • $$$$$$$ ...particularly acute with large operations

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I only use inner covers if using a telescoping cover. Mainly I make my own migratory covers with a 3 inch diameter hole center but toward back, and #8 hardware cloth on the inside. On those, no inner cover, just a feed jar. If I feel the need for one (shb real bad is a reason) I put the deep side of the inner cover up so bees can get to the feed jar and do a good shb patrol on top

5. Ray

Ray Member

I use inner covers all the time. The center hole is a great place for a puff of smoke when starting inspections. It's also a great place to find and dispatch earwigs and ants.