When are Queens readily available in Texas?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by LtlWilli, Oct 17, 2009.

1. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I have 6 hives that need splitting badly. When are the new , marked queens at their best price, and easily available?.I'd love to buy some locally if I could.
    LtlWilli---Canton, Texas
    903-848-0453 :wave:

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

R. Weaver, http://www.rweaver.com/, says quens are available the end of March. I'm guessing B. Weaver would be around the same time. Both are located in Navasota. I am satisfied with the bees I got from R. Weaver...haven't tried the other Weaver.

Walt

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

viable drone population estabishes the earliest possible date at or about the 15th day of March. most queens reared here in Central Texas become available about April 1 which is somewhat determined by the safest date at which to shake bees for packages.

another small and insignificant word to the wise... do not confuse the two weavers in navasota texas in regards to service or quality of product produced. just creating hypothetical in my mind here.... it does seem to me that some folks (and without reflecting on their own past achievements) are always pushing forward trying to accomplish greater and greater things while other are perfectly comfortable to rest on the reputation of their fathers or grandfathers.