When do you replace your queen?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kebee, Feb 8, 2015.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yes it is advise to replace the queen after 3 years because they start running out of eggs, but don't do it until the temp is 70 degree for a couple of days. Than you go in and find the old queen and do away with her. Wait than 24 hours and put the new queen into the hive, that way the old queen smell will just about be gone and they will accept the new queen better.

‚ÄčKen

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

What Ken said is the recommended practice. Having said that, I have only replaced a Queen when their was a problem. I pretty much leave the queen succession to the bees. It may not be the best practice, but it works for me.

Now then...your "Mentor". Thank him for his advice and then check your books and this forum. As the saying goes, "You ask 5 beekeepers a question and you'll get 6 answers. :lol:

Walt

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

With Walt, I leave mine to nature unless I see a major problem.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Since you're new, I'm going to state the obvious: if you decide to replace your queen every 2-3 years, you must have marked queens, otherwise there's no way to tell if the queen you're replacing is 3 years old or 3 weeks old.

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I agree with Walt on this 1, unless they cant do it them selves I dont replace queens, the bees you keep will always know more about beekeeping them you do, heck I dont even think most queens even make it in the same hive for a full 2 years, bees can replace a queen and you wont even know it happened half the time, or they swarm and you didnt see it and the new queens up and running before you even notice, 1 thing I would like to add, you should start with 2 hives not 1, always nice to have more then 1 hive so you can compare.