When harvesting, how do you get the bees out of the super?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Here's what I've done so far. After I open up the hive, I smoke the super while still in place on the hive. I remove the super and set it down near the hive on a concrete block I have ready. I place an empty super back on the hive and close the hive up again. I carry the super with the honey away from the hive a hundred feet or so, set it down on another concrete block and put my smoker under it. I move the smoker around under the super and in just a few minutes, all the bees will be gone back to the hive.

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Re: When harvesting, how do you get the bees out of the supe

that should work and is very low tech. I think this idea was one promoted by a mr allen dick (Alaskan/Canadian bee keeper I think).

if the weather is in the 80 I use Fischer Bee Quick and if a bit colder I use a brush. either way I do pretty much like you describe as an intermediate step. the final step for me is I employ an old box to replace your concrete blocks and after setting for a while to allow the field bees to return to the hive I give the super a good bump on the empty box which dislodges most of the bees still clinging to the super. then it goes on the truck and is covered quickly with a double screen (<a single screen would be fine but all I have is double screens).

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Interesting solution, don't recommend it for comb honey since the soot discolors the cappings. I am not too excited about smoked honey. I use Bee Quick or a brush like tecumseh.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I used a wooden 'triangle escape' for the first time this month, and it worked quite well. Probably more practical for small hobbyists like me though.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like Omie, I use a triangular escape board if I have time. If I'm pressed for time, I take an empty super, and transfer one frame at a time while brushing the bees back into the space I pulled them from. Once it is empty, I just pull it off and close it back up. I use an old towell to cover the super I'm transferring to, this reduces robbing.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

another slight modification bamww to your program is to set the box of honey upright on its front or back side. if you have a bit of wind... place the smoker just up wind and you really will not need to blow much smoke thru the super at all.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What gunsmith said!

8. rast

rast New Member

I use a few fume boards with Honey Robber and a gas powered blower. Keeping the top box on the stack covered with a towel. The blower is used because I seldom use excluders so there are usually some bees on some brood that won't leave.

9. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

Like gunsmith pointed out, using a cover on any exposed super is more than just a good idea! It keeps the bees off the frames you cleared already but most importaintly it reduces mass robbing which can turn a bee yard into a war zone with thousands of dead bees. That right there is one thing on my lessons learned list for the year.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I always used a bee escape of the type that you place inside the ventilation hole in the middle of inner coverI never had bees left after 24-30 hours unless I inadvertantly allowed the queen to briefly wonder up there and lay a few eggs, in that case bees will never abandon brood.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Same as barry42001. I use a bee escape and a little patience. Less dramatic results and no one gets hurt. As I recall, a bee escape costs under $2.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If there are any straggler bees on the taken frames, I stop my car a few times on the drive from the bee yard to my home (where I do the extracting), open the trunk and let the bees fly off. Usually I get home and don't have any bees coming inside with the honey.