When is the best time to transfer a hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fuzzystuff, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I would like to transfer a hive to a new hive that I built. When is the best time to do this? The queen has been laying eggs and I have new bees in the hive. Her laying patern is great "football" shaped. They have been coming in with pollen. I just started feeding 1-1 until the flow is on. I am guessing once the flow starts and the weather is warmer. I will be moving the TB's over to the new hive. Transfering from a KTB to a Warre`.

Any thoughts?

I also would like to report that both my hives look like they have made it through the winter. Both queens are laying and there are a lot of new bees with strong population. Not to bad for a rookie.

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Are you putting the new hive in place of the old one? If so you could do it now as all the house bees will be in the new hive and the field bees will return to it, just do it when the temps are 50 deg. or warmerJim

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Yes I am just replacing the old hive with a new one. Thanks.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can do as Bsweet says, IF you aren't moving from a 10 frame hive to a 30 frame hive, or similar. Do not leave them with a lot of empty space until May.

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

You could transfer the frames as soon as the weather permits. Like Idee and Bsweet said.

We did this with one of our hives a couple weeks ago since the box was deteriorating and desperately needed cleaned. The bees accepted their new home fine and all the foragers didn't seem to notice any difference.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Congratulations Fuzzystuff for making it through the winter!

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thanks everyone, I plan on doing it later this week with a high of 73 and low of 46. Got to love the Kansas weather of course it snowed last night.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Fuzzystuff, i'm glad you made it through the winter too, and your bees also. :mrgreen:Good job. Jack

9. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I got my home hive transfered Sunday to my modified Werre' hive and the girls were doing just fine. They were too busy hitting the maples and other trees blooming. I will post a pic later.