When it rains, it pours!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Jul 31, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Went this morning to pull off my first supers of honey. With all my queen problems I manage to have 2 hives with supers. 1- 2 deep supers and 1 on the other. Pulled the first super that had 2. Looked really good. Not a full box though. checked the other super. One by one they looked awesome. Got to the third frame and full of capped brood and eggs. The rest was the same. Was about to puke. This dang hive almost swarmed on me this spring. Caught it in time and made a split. There was already a super on that had an excluder. There were swarm cells so I left it alone to make their own queen. Well, much time went by. The bees started to get aggressive, no eggs, no queen to be found. Some swarm cells never opened and the others looked like they were getting torn down. So, I ordered a queen and got her started below the excluder. Could I possibly have 2 hives one on top of the other? Would they keep both queens due to the excluder? If so, what would be the best way to split? the weather got nasty so I put everything back. Will go out tomorrow when it is sunny nd see if there are 2 queens

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Best of luck! Hope you find them right away. Set the hive sections on blind bottoms or plywood and cover so you dont get robbing added to your problems and also to keep you from wondering if a queen wandered into the other box or another hive. I shook bees out on a blanket and had them crawl back in up through an excluder and still couldnt find the queen but think she may have gone into next door hive. Lots of smoke and cussing!

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

??????????

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just set the top box on a new bottom board and put a lid on it. Go back in a week and look for eggs in both.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm an idiot. Award for the worst 2nd year beekeeper goes to me! I did what you said Iddee. But, wanted to check below the excluder to see if there was another queen. Well, there wasn't. Nada. I'm thinking several days after requeening this hive and removing boxes to remove the queen cage I sat the brood box on top of a super. Guess where the queen went. Yup. This second year has majorly sucked for me. Good thing I love bees.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Crazy.
    Don't feel bad, I have had the same thing happen to me. I usually leave the inner cover on my supers and set the top brood chamber on top of it. I had a queen go through the hole in the inner cover on me. I now use a piece of plastic to close off that little loophole when ever I set a brood box on a super.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang! Sorry Crazy. Maybe there will be time for things to straighten out before things wind down. I don't plan to pull my supers until September sometime.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

crazy8- Don't beat yourself up too hard. My first year in beekeeping I was lucky. The second year, I failed miserably. And I failed the third year as well. But I was determined to learn all I could and kept going. I'm in year 4 and if I can ever get my honey pulled I will have my best year yet with more hives than I have ever had. Hang in there!

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Events like those are the ones we tend to remember most. :)

10. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Yup, second year is definitely tougher. I think we already has a lengthy thread along those lines. My first year I got 180 Lbs of honey from one Nuc, this year I'm on track to get 180 LBS from a wintered hive and 2 nucs (while other beeks in the area are having a bumper crop). Live and learn I guess.

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm hoping to get 25lbs! My phone was ringing last night people wanting honey and when will I have it.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Crazy8, I hope you get those 25 lbs and more---but for that amount I would suggest that you push off any sales till next year and keep what you get for your family (a year's supply) and those whom you wish to honor with a gift.
    ​Start selling only when your yield really passes what you might need till the next crop comes in.