When living in harmony gets tough...

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I try to live in harmony with all other things, but I'm thinking that I'm being taken advantage of. Went out today to fill in the woodchuck hole that is under my porch, and ended up getting attacked and chased across the yard by angry yellow jackets that have apparently made one heck of a nest in my wooden porch post. Sheesh! Took 2 good hits - tomorrow my arm will look like Popeye's.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I hate yellow jackets, seems like they stay pissed off all year long and then get real mad in the fall.

Did a cut out today and took two to the left eye, looks like I been a fightin'!

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Do yellow jackets die off in the winter?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All except the queens.

5. guyross

guyross New Member

Feed them some sevin dust at there entrance. They will carry it in and kill her. They are so bad here it's a high school mascot.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

They are our local HS mascot, too! I keep wanting to smack the school board, though, because several of their illustrations have the yellow jacket mascot buzzing around a honey bee skep.

I may try the sevin dust. Their humble abode is well away from my flower gardens or any pollen sources. I plan on donning the bee suit first. Today, my elbow looks like it belongs to someone else, and itches like mad!

Well, no wonder the rest of them get angry in the fall!

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

bees n jackets must be more docile down here....i here stories of them forming sqaudrens an flying off with young children up north....i was in virginia and stayed in a hostle on the AT and there was a colony of honey bees in the window...never got touched....i get right up in em here and as long as im slow an dont jolt em i can do what i want....whats the deal ???

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You're still new and they are letting you get comfortable. Your time will come when you least expect it. :lol: :wave:

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the bees or the yellow jackets.....i was talking bout the jackets.....i think your right about my bees...lol...thier motives are clear....they are letting me think they are nice...for now...they've launched on me a few times but 7 is the most so far....when i was 32 i got hit by the jackets 52 times.....if that happened to me now id be toast.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

guyross, do the yellow jackets collect the sevin dust like pollen, or do they have to crawl through it on their way in and out of the nest?

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Iddee had told us how to make traps for them, wish I could remember exactly what it was he said :confused: It sure did help reduce the population of them. I hope you get rid of yours Hobie...and don't get any more stings!

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

They seem to be ignoring the sevin dust :( . May have to try Plan B. (If only I had a Plan B...!)

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hornet or wasp spray in a can that squirts 30 ft., or if all else fails a 303 can of gasoline will do the job. :thumbsup: Jack

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Uh.... they are in the walls of my house and barn. Will have to forego the gasoline.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

oooops, sorry about that Hobie, i guess i missed that they were inside the wall. Can you block their entrance with a piece of duct tape or board and let time take it's course? Jack

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

duct tape was gonna be my suggestion....or you could train em to fetch beer...its 5 oclock somewhere :|

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Just like bees, wasps and hornets go home at night. Whatever method of attack you use, remember that night time is the best for a thorough kill. Just don't hold a flashlight in your hand to tell them where to come to you.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yellow Jackets and hornets eat meat. Sprinkle bits of meat or fish with the sevin. They will carry it back to the nest.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That "recipe" entices cats and dogs too (among other animals). Be sure that this deadly cocktail can not be reached by them.

20. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

you can find a jackets nest that way....pose ta be an old indian trick...just like bee hunting...skinn an hang a small fish an when the jacket leaves an goes strait back home ya follow him an keep hanging the fish where you lost sight of him till ya get there...heard the larva make real good bait...im ok with buying my bait so i wont be digging up any yellow jackets to go fishing.