When should I check the girls again??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ASTMedic, May 27, 2013.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

So I'm waiting to see what the larva that I found last week turn out to be. If its drone then I'll get another queen since I wasn't able to find a queen the last few times and brood levels are so low. My gut tells me I'm doing ok though and all will be well. My question is should I/could I check them this week? This isn't too soon is it?? Cold and overcast today but weather is going to be nice by the end of the week.

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

If I wasn't for sure what I've got, then I'd check them again and remove that doubt. Then you know exactly what you'll need to do next if it's nothing but wait and be patient. And that's hard to do.

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Sounds good

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Each time a hive is opened and examined it takes about 2 days for the colony to recover.

I like to ask myself... "Have I a good reason/need to go into the hive ?"

Keen new keepers can over-examine a hive and make themselves problems. :eek:ldtimer:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ast,
    what barbarian said.
    from your other thread, you posted a couple of pix, and in one pic i believe there was a virgin queen on the frame. if so, the larvae you have now is from the previous queen.
    if you have a virgin queen, you need to let her mate and start laying and not disrupt the hive. you will do more harm than good, and risk either injuring/killing that queen, or enough for the bees to reject her as well. just my humble opinion.

6. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Are you saying you see a virgin queen in the picture?

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Are you saying you see a virgin queen in the picture?"

yes, ast, looks like it to me.
    bottom right hand corner of the frame of pic 2*
    from your thread here:
    what to do if no evidence of queen on next inspection

you described finding a spotty brood pattern, no eggs with supersedure cells that were closed and later found open, "since I see 2 open cells that look like someone took a small saw and took the tip off." the virgin queens did, they chew their way out, indicative of, and a good description by you.

in post #34 you posted two pics. as paul said, you have some capped brood (worker and drone)and larvae. i don't see evidence of a laying worker.* from your 2nd picture, bottom right hand corner of the frame. also you said you noticed her, was she running across the frames, across the tops of other bees? another tip, sometimes virgins will be found on the sides of, or corners of the hive, rather than the frames.

it may well be you have two or more queens, (2 supersedure cells with emerged queens and a failing queen), but the bees and queens will figure out who reigns.

see this thread here on supersedure queens:
    queen supersedure in honey bee colonies

a queen's timeline:
    day 1, 2, 3, Egg
    cell is capped on the 8th day
    day 16 Queen birth
    day 20 Mating flight
    day 23-30 Start Egg Laying

stages of growth of honey bees days after eggs are laid:
    egg hatching>worker 3, queen 3, drone 3
    larva>worker 5, queen 5, drone 7
    cell capped> worker 8, queen 8, drone 10
    pupa>worker 13, queen 8, drone 14
    adult emergence>worker 21, queen 16, drone 24

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ast,
    i zoomed in on your pic, flipped it around and took a screen capture:
    her longer legs, the shape of the abdomen, and thorax:

Capture.JPG

9. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Yep I see her now, cool. Well I'll give her a few more weeks then and let things take their course. I'll just feed. I can just watch for orientation flights and see what I see.

10. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Brood looks way better today. You can't see but there's larva all the way out to the bottom. Have another frame like this too. Glad to see they had it under control all along. I couldn't find eggs but I'm not really sure why. The comb is dark enough I should be able to see them.

[​IMG]

11. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Also made and added a robbing screen. Bees are a little lost as to how to get in now though.

[​IMG]