So going I'm going into year two and I'm thinking that having a second hive to work with if needed would be a good idea just in case. I've been reading everything I can find on splitting but wondered when would be the best time to do it? Weather is looking good here in NorCal now and things are blooming. Brood rearing is going strong in my over wintered hive right now so my gut says now is the time. Any reason I can't just put one box on one bottom board and another on the other and walk away? Will I be sacrificing honey production a lot by doing this? I'm just looking for enough honey for my family at this point. Do I need to wait till drones are flying? I have capped drone cells now.