When should I split my TBH

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by darrenct83, Jul 25, 2011.

1. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

My 48" inch long TBH has fully drawn comb on all the bars. I know in a Langstroth hive you can add supers, but this isn't the case for my TBH. I am doing an inspection inside this week to see just how crowded things are getting. Should I be making a split so the bees don't do it on their own? Or should I wait until I start seeing swarm cells.

Would another option be to take honey to make more room? I'm not sure how much capped honey I'll find as I haven't been inside for a couple weeks.

2. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Darren,
    You'll need to look and see what they have for resources first. Having all the bars drawn doesn't mean swarming is in the works. Are all the combs full? That is what I think one needs to see. If all your bars have brood and/or honey then you may want to harvest some...replacing what you harvest with empty bars. If you have lots of drawn but empty comb, then you may just want to sit back and watch things.
    Give it a good going through and see what you've got. You'll have a better feel then for what, if anything, you may need to do.
    Now, if you "want" to make a split...and have sufficient resources, then you should be able to do it. Just don't wait too long.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

If you do wait too long, won't they split themselves? I thought that was one of the reasons to have TBHs. So the bees would regulate themselves.