When to Change to Larger Opening

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Rick Brittain, May 7, 2012.

1. Rick Brittain

Rick Brittain New Member

Got my bees 30 Mar 12 (member of Guilford County, NC beekeepers Assn) and I have 8 frame medium bodies. The bees have filled the first 8 frame body and I added the second. When should I go to a larger opening to allow more bees to enter and exit at a time?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Rick:
    First, seeing as this is your first post let me issue you a warm Welcome! :hi:
    What size opening do you have now? If it is at the smallest opening I would move up to the next size. Not sure of your temps in NC but I would think that soon you should be able to remove it altogether. There are lots of members here from NC that will be able to guide you with more certainty.
    Have fun poking around here, it is a great forum!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

To put it simply, NOW.

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Yeah, the main reasons to reduce the entrance is to prevent mice from nesting in the bottom box in Winter and to prevent a weaker hive from being robbed during a dearth. Not much chance of robbery when a flow is on, so make it easy for foragers to get in with their payloads as efficiently and quickly as possible....

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I still have mine on 2". Should I move it to 4", or take it off altogether?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

move it to 4", or take it off altogether......Depending on how much of the 4 they are using.

7. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I was about to ask this same question. I hived my package last week and was curious when I should/could make the opening larger. I have about a 1 inch opening currently. I am in Florida and it 90 degrees everyday now.

When should I increase and to what size should I go?