when to get a extractor

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by the kid, Dec 3, 2009.

1. the kid

the kid New Member

I always wondered when I should get a extractor ... so I put some numbers together .

,as I understand it takes 5 to 8 pounds of honey ,to make a pound of wax ,, a pound of wax made in to comb will hold 22 pounds of honey ,,, so lets say 6.5 pounds of honey ,to make a pound of wax

600 / 22 = 27.27

so it takes 27 pounds of wax to hold 600 pounds of honey

27 x 6.5 = 175.5 pounds of honey ,to make 27 pounds of wax

so if you sell your honey for $3 a pound

175.5 x $3 = $526.50
    it took $526.50 of honey to make the wax to hold the 600 pounds of honey

and you sell the 27 pounds of wax for $4 a pound

27x 4 = $108.00

so if you take the $108.00 that you get from selling the wax ( because this you do get back ) , from the $526.50 it took to make the wax
    526.50 - $108.00 = $ 418.50

so you just lost $418.00

now you take 418.00 and divide it by 600

$418 divided by 600 = $0.69

so for each pound of honey you get by crush and strain
    you lose 69 cents ( to make the wax to hold it )

500.00 divided by 0.69 = 725

so if you buy a extractor costing $ 500.00
    you will have to extract 725 pounds of honey with it befor your even .
    but if you do not buy it and extract 725 ponds of honey ,by crush and strain ,
    you have lost $500.00 and still have no extractor ...

725 divided by 12 = 60
    so that is 60 gal of honey

now I have til next fall to try and get the wife talked into buying a extractor

2. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Hey Kid dont try and kid ;) her with numbers, she's probably awake up to you. Just go and buy it.. she'll be browned off with your for a while and will more than likely kick and fuss but after a while she'll cool down.

All you have to do then is hope she'll forget your transgression but in reality

SHE WONT :beg:

You can bet she'll remember it for the rest of your life. I can imagine her in like 50 years saying "I remember the time when you bought that honey machine.. you made me so ANGRY" :mrgreen:

Mick

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hey 'the kid' it must be gettin' cold in minnesota with not much to do on the cold nights?

you of course forgot the labor and misc. charges involved with constantly putting new wax back into the frames. you also ignored the lost honey flow required to get these same frames pulled each and every season.

you could somewhat tilt your analysis by going out and buying yourself a used $100 stainless steel can, spend $200 for a custom made radial reel and add a simple motor and speed control for $10.

for myself I found that when I had few hives a set of stainless steel pots that nestle inside each other to make a double boiler worked pretty well up till I had 18 or so hives and then the volume of the sweet sticky stuff got to be enough hassle that I deployed paragraph 3 above.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bee forums, craig's list, local beek clubs. You can get a nice stainless 2 or 4 frame extractor for 100 to 200. You just have to have a little patience and not jump on the first one unless it is "the one".

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Or better. I found a hand-crank 2-frame for $50 by looking at nearby Association newsletters on-line. It looks home-made, and I had to make a slight basket modification because the frame ear hit the spout, but it has metal gears and spins like a champ!

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Kid I think you have most of the numbers right but like was said already just look at all the honey lost because the girls had to draw out the foundation every season before storeing honey.

If you are gentil with this one it is a good investment for some one with just a few hives.
    http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_P ... =extractor, plastic 2 frame&Token=12.75.40.97:{ts_2009-12-04_08:09:02}-221794

They used to have a side crank 4 frame radil ss one for less than $500.00 new but I don't see it any longer.

:mrgreen: Al

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Kid, I think Mick was right on the money with his analysis of the situation, now and in the future.

So, here’s what you do. You order the best extractor you can almost afford. When it arrives, you look shocked :shock: (practice this ahead of time so it’s “naturalâ€) and openly wonder what it could be. :confused:

When you find out it’s an extractor, even better than you could have hoped, lavish thanks and praise on your wife for getting it for you and promise to get her something really nice “in the futureâ€. :yahoo:

If she admits she didn’t order it, check the bill of sale and wonder if it could have been ordered when you were 1) Sleepwalking; 2) Under the influence of mind control aliens; 3) In a trance from watching “Dancing with the Starsâ€, etc. The more bizarre the story, the better.

Your wife won’t buy it, but she’ll have to give you credit for not being stupid enough to think that she would. Now you’ve set up a conflict and she might just find it easier to forget about it and not bring up the mind control aliens again. ;)

It hasn't worked for me in 38 years, but I keep trying. :( It might work for you.

Just a thought.

Walt

8. rast

rast New Member

Kid, it's like the old man I'm buying hives from told me. He said that I should really listen to what my wife thinks, and then do what I want to :box:.

9. rast

rast New Member

By the way, I'm like some of the others. Patience and look. I've had 2 given to me.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Same here, was given the extractor that I have, nice little stainless job.

There is plenty of good used stuff out there it is just a matter of finding it.

G3

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

To bad your so far away. I have a old 36 frame Bradford galvinized I am asking $150 for in the local bee news letter. The motor is almost worth that.

Sell that stump grinder and use that money to get an extractor. I'm sure Bon won't mind that way.
    You can always said Al made you do it too.

:mrgreen: Al

12. the kid

the kid New Member

I will watch for a deal on a extractor till next fall when I need it ,, if nothing shows up Ill get a cheep one til one comes up .. I know I have time to look so I'm not going to buy one tonight Like I told Al I got a hot knife at a auction for $3.00 .. >> for 2 full bee suits , a smoker , 3 bee books , and the hot knife ,, I paid $26.00 total... the hot knife is one from blossom land supply ,,, the Master Uncapping Knife .. AL I think I may have some stumps to grind al ready ,, so I'll wait and see if next spring bring any ,, maybe stumps will pay for some bee supply's , each year .. if it woorks out right ..
    Al I cann't tell Bon that ,,, cause I told her you said I should buy the grinder !!!!