When to Holdem', when to foldem'

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by AcmeBees, Apr 9, 2012.

1. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

I put a Craigslist ad in for honey bee removal and swarm capture. Got my first call saturday night.

Story is this couple have a new baby and they are getting bees in the babies room. Making the room useless to them and a big inconvenience. He asked if I could come look at it in the morning, Easter Sunday. The place is about a half hour away and decided to look on Easter anyway.

After reviewing the situation, I decided to decline helping the guy. These are the reasons:
    1. the house was in bad disrepair on the exterior. red brick to the top of the first floor then shake shingle siding up to the soffit. There were so many holes, cracks, and openings in the brick and the first two courses of shingles all the way around the house were dry rotted, peeled up and creating and endless opening for critters..
    2. After repeating that I was there for the bees and was not particularly interested in the carpentry after the removal. I said depending on how much needs dismantled, if it would be easy I would close things back up. The home owner was still thinking that I would make all right when I was done. If I would start uncovering major structural damage, I think there could have been a problem.
    3. the home owner wanted this done in the next day or two. I could have done it with the main job schedule, but the weather is still dipping into the 30's at night, 50's in the day time. Also the location was on the NW side of the house which I thought was odd.
    4. I think the bees are located in the floor of the babies bedroom. I could smell comb when I entered the room. I told the home owner that if I could confirm that, the action would be to open the floor to get to them. He was balking at that in regard to the intrusion and mess.

I feel bad because the guy is going to get an exterminator. I informed him the cons of doing so.

If someone local wants to help this guy out, message me and I'll give the contact info.

Does anyone have other stories of walking away for one reason or another? This kinda put a hitch in my get along, especially with my inexperience. I had that feeling tugging at me that this would end up a quagmire. I think I did the right thing for me, but let the bees down.

2. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Oh, location is Pittsburgh Eastern suburb.

3. melrose

melrose New Member

You did the right thing, especially if you weren't charging a fee for the removal.
    Remember also... have a contract in hand, releasing you a liability, when the customer says "ok, I'll take care of closing things up", then sues you for damages incurred during the cut-out, and walking away with your bees, you have paper in hand.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Walking away was the right move IMHO. Don't know why he would balk at you removing them via the floor? And know he's going to let an exterminator spray near or in his babies room?
    Doesn't sound like a good scenario.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only mistake was to walk rather than run. He is trouble looking for an endless handout. Get away and STAY AWAY.

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I think you made the right choice as well. If your in doubt because of your gut feeling then just walk away from it. I would think the piece of mind you would have would be worth far more than the bees are.

Btw, thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it and learning how others run into different sittuations and how they handle them.

James

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:chased::chased::chased:

:thumbsup:

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I kind of picked up from previous business ventures that it's best to go with your feelings.

I got a call late Saturday from a woman who said that afternoon she had found a swarm in a tree and Mrs.X told her I had bees, so I should come and get my bees and bring them back home. (I guess she decided to wait until late to make sure I was in bed.) :grin: I told her my bees were fine and they hadn't swarmed.

Then her attitude got a little nicer and she decided I could come get them. I explained that it was too late (10:00pm) and tomorrow was Easter and the other 5 days I'm gone during daylight. Finally I put her onto the bee club in Waco to contact someone.

She wondered if it was too late to call tonight and I said, "Yes!"

Just one of those situations where you feel it's not going to go well.

Walt

9. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Thanks all for the supportive replys. It's hard enough to get the stones to attempt such feats that would kill ordinary men, especially when second guessing ones ability, then to add these complications. Oh well, live and learn.

I think I am going to start another thread asking about techniques for pinpointing the exact location of the bees. I think that may be half the battle in this game.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Good move!

If you're dissapointed because you missed out on some bees, go ahead and order a new package and queen with the money you just saved yourself by walking away from that one.

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

On a cutout or trapout I ask for pics to be sent to my email or phone(which I then sent to my email) just so I can weed out some before I drive out to look the job over. Jim

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You did the right thing for sure. Let some other fella take care of him.

13. junkhound

junkhound New Member

I agree that you made the right decision to walk away. I declined one this morning on the grounds that it was 60 miles away, and the bees have been very aggresive to everyone and everything that makes any noise within 150 ft.

junkhound