When to inspect?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

We are presently in the middle of a honey flow here in western ND. Actually, a HUGE flow just tapered off and another HUGE flow is probably going to start up here in the next couple of weeks (when the sunflowers start blooming and the cut alfalfa comes back) - so we are in a much lighter flow of what remains of the yellow clover.

I have supers on my best hives. My last inspection of these hives was late June/early July (first week). Even then, I didn't do a complete inspection (count of frames of bees, took apart the top deeps - didn't get into the bottom). Since then, I haven't wanted to disturb them during the flow. I have only popped their tops off to check their progress filling the supers.

My question is: Should I be inspecting them more completely (get into the bottom deep, inspect each frame, find queen/eggs, etc.) and if so, is the time to do this when a flow is on? I am a little concerned that I can't really say what is going on in these hives. Activity is good outside of them, temperament is good, they are hauling pollen, there are no brood on the landing boards, etc. - so I don't have any external signs that suggest a problem - I just haven't inspected the frames. But I also don't want to set them back if they are putting up surplus honey.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

If everything looks OK from the outside, I'd leave the deeps alone and add supers as needed.

Walt

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

Well, that has been my plan - but this is my first time supering, so I haven't been sure that was the best course.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't fix what ain't broke. Let the bees do their thing until you have a reason to intercede.

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

LOL - well said!

6. BIGEDDIE

BIGEDDIE New Member

I agree with Iddee 100%