When to perform a cut out.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

We have very large cut out to do this spring. I am wondering when is the best time. Should we let the queen get started laying good or try and get it as soon as things start warming and blooming, or after the spring flow is done.

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I would say as soon as it warms up and or at the start of the first flow, you want it warm enough so the bees don't have to deal with the cold and try to rebuild their hive at the same time. If you do it at the start of the first flow they will have the resourses to rebuild and not have to do it on suger water alone. Jim

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Last year I got started on March 7, it was still pretty cool and was making sure the brood was in the sunshine to help keep them warm. If there is a flow going on I think is is easier on the bees, seems less stressful IMHO. I do like to feed them some syrup no matter when I do onejust to help kick them off again.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would agree with the above. If you wait till a decent flow is on there will be fewer bees to deal with during the cut-out as half will be out foraging.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Nice warm day about the start of dandelions or trees in bloom if there is an acquitted number to produce a good flow

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I tell my customers "The first 70 degree day after March 1, that is sunny and calm".

7. wadehump

wadehump New Member

when you see drones

8. Hawk

Hawk Member

My (general) rule of thumb is for nighttime temps to be above 50 deg. F. - and preferably for daytime temps to be above 75. I've done them lower, and in the rain - but not with much survival success.