When to set swarm traps?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Apr 6, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

I would like to set 2 swarm traps this year to try it. Got the lures, lemon grass oil, old dirty drawn comb, honey/syrup filled comb, and a couple of hives to use. I was going to set one here at the house and at the place that I caught a swarm at last year where she point out the bee tree. But when is the best time to set them? Our swarm season should be most of the month of May and June. Now, a couple weeks ahead, right at the start of swarm season? Thanks for the help!

2. rast

rast New Member

I'd get them out early. In my case I was late, but still caught swarms, just not where I intended. I haven't used anything but about 2" of old brood comb frames for an attractant. Down here, honey filled frames would get robbed out and attract ants.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It is good to get them set out a little early so that the bees have a chance to locate them. I have found just a frame that has had old comb in it, but has been cut out works pretty good also. Just something that has the smell on it.

Good luck and let us know if you catch any.

G3

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Right now, and get rid of the honey/syrup comb. It's more harm than good.

5. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Cool, to lure or not to lure? To lemongrass or not? Thoughts?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Use them all. Just no honey or sugar, or pollen or substitute.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee is right, now that the temps are rising, if you leave honey or pollen out for just a short period of time the wax moth and SHB will be the only thing you will trap.

G3