When winter hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zookeep, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so, what happens around here after the real snow starts to fly? does the forum hibernate till spring? Im just wondering if things slow down around here to the point where no1 shows up for ages.

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

For us first year beeks it's the time of year when we pace around like expectant fathers wondering if our hives have enough stores and obcessing over it until we just go crazy and buy some chickens to raise through the winter.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not just first year beeks, I still always wonder if there was anything else I coulda/shoulda done. Drive by and check em in the foulest of weather even when there is little you could do anyways. Guess it just goes with the territory. :)

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Pop the cover on days over 50 just to peek. While locked inside build supers, read bee books and circle bee catalogs for holiday gifts.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

On forums with controversial forums, people get cabin fever. They get agitated, quick tempered, and totally hard to get along with. Hopefully, we can keep that out of this one.

There won't be as many posting, so those who do need to plan to try to post extra. We want to keep everyone around until spring.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:

What Iddee said.

We try not to get controversial here.

I'm a first year beek, and really hope there will be plenty of activity here this winter. This will be my outlet when I can't get into my hives.

I'm a truck driver, gone during the week, and home weekends. I have my laptop with me and am on the forum at all different times, but I am assured that I'll always have a good time-and learn a lot here.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, you mean like. Hey tec and Walt, How bout them Red Birds. :yahoo: Jack :lol: :lol:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You are one cruel man, Jack..... :D

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

Some wooden ware projects are on my winter list.Last winter I bought 40 deeps from a commercial bk for 3 bucks ea and cut some into med honey supers some into 5 frame nucs and some just cleaned up.I thought I had too much equipment but it turned out to be the right amount.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jb63 writes:
    I thought I had too much equipment but it turned out to be the right amount.

tecumseh:
    likely the best advice for any bee keeper going into the winter months. plan to make more that you think you will need because there is an excellent chance that you will need those extra boxes and frames anyway.

and to zookeep.... them 'yankee' bee keeper start to get real ansy since they cannot peek into those little white boxes buried out in some snow bank to see what surprises may be stowed inside. us southern bee keepers on the other hand are still doin' what southern bee keepers do.

not only did Jack's cardinals beat up on the poor Ranger the very next weekend some forgotten university in Missouri beat up on the local Aggies.

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Jack, Poor Rangers :cry: If that isn't bad enough, my sister-in-law lives in St. Louis.

Kind of reminds me of when I lived near Rochester, NY: 4 straight years the Bills went to the Super Bowl and 4 straight years came home empty handed. Maybe the Rangers are going to try and break that streak. :)

Walt

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I never was one to sit and listen or watch ball games, but i do like the campionship games. When we were youngsters, we learned at a early age if we said anything negative about the Cardinals around Dad or my grandfathers you crossed the line :mrgreen: Needless to say, my brothers and i had alot of fun stirring things up. :lol: Jack

PS. but i would never do that here. :mrgreen:

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have found that to be exactly right. One of the things I like about this forum is that it gets my mind off of the problems of the world. I can learn without having to filter through arguments and debates. :thumbsup:

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

A snip from Americasbeekeeper: "circle bee catalogs for holiday gifts"

gunsmith: Don't forget to leave the catalogs open to that page on the coffee table so family members can see it. :p

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm lookin forward to reading more of Iddee's jokes. :clapping:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ef, I'll post one just for you. Deer hunting without a gun.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Deer hunting without a gun.

And shirtless? :oops:

18. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Only if there's bees around!!!!! :rotfl:

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Iddee, Tec and Gunny,
    I'm afraid you fellows left me out in the cold on this one. :confused: I have no idea whaat you are talking about--and what's the purpose of a joke if it has to be explained? :|
    Maybe I'm better suited for hunting turtles (slow). :dontknow:

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ef, I posted the story under the joke forum. Tec and Gunsmith are teasing me about working bees with no shirt on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]