Where are all my queens going. Think I need a different hobby.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I just don't get it.

I go down to open a hive and make a cell starter to try some grafting.

First double deep I open I think is queenless. Capped brood but no larva or eggs. So since I am not sure I put a frame of eggs in it and will see if they start pulling queen cells.

Then I go to another double deep with a medium of honey on top. Had a queen before. Not one now. No larva. no eggs, no brood. No signs of swarming, no swarm cells or supercedure cells. lots of bees and empty drawn comb.

Put a virgin queen in a queenless hive couple weeks ago. Checked it and no sign of a queen. Although they were a lot more calm than they were before.

I was sitting here thinking all hives were queen right. All these hives a tons of bees and good activity. How do queens just disappear like that?

Well, on the bright side, I have some deeps with lots of bees that should be more than ready to draw queen cells. We are harvesting about 40 frames of honey saturday. After that, if i get some queen cells drawn, I guess I split out the queenless hives and make splits with all the bees and drawn comb and queen cells.

But wait, will they draw the queen grafts if they are not nurse bees?

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Maybe this would be better.

I have two seperate deeps. Single deeps with nucs that I just put in the deep. New queens that i raised and they are laying good.
    Maybe I take the queenless double deep full of bees. Split each deep and set one deep on top of each of the new queenright deeps with newspaper between. This would get both of the new queenright single deeps going quickly.

Just thinking out loud here.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

That virgin queen may be just beginning to lay right now- go look in another week.
    Meanwhile, give every hive you have queen doubts about a new frame with fresh eggs on it- that can solve half your problems all by itself.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks Omie,
    That s what I did. I put a frame of eggs in one I wasnt sure about. Virgin queen I put back together and will give another week.

This one double deep with a medium of honey has me stumped. It had a great marked queen a while back. No no signs. no eggs, larva or capped brood. No queen cells. Im just gonne use the the 2 deeps to help build to new singl deeps tonight. Newspaper combine.

AND, I thnk I will set a cell starter box in its place with a frame of honey and a frame of pollen, nurse bees in its place. It will catch any foragers or other bees that fly back to original spot and I will put grafts in it tomorrow night.

Think that will work?

5. pturley

pturley New Member

Any back-filling of honey in the brood areas?

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Well guess what?

We went down to split this hive up and we did one final check just to make sure. Were looking at frames and nothing. So as my buddy was sliding the last frame back into the deep, something caught my eye. Yep, is was a queen. And man was she moving fast. But we both got a good look at her before she dissapeared into a cloud of bees. Man I cant believe I saw her. The frame was halfway back in the box. Now lets hope she has already mated or is successful in her flights.

Put hive back together and will leave alone for 2 weeks. What luck hugh? This was a very, very good natured hive. I am glad that maybe it will be able to carry on.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If she's as fast as you said, she's probably still a virgin. Once mated the queens slow down considerably and mostly move with "regal reserve".