Where are the beetles?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by ablanton, Jun 9, 2013.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

What are the rest of you seeing with regard to SHB this year? I am not seeing very many at all. Even my hives that are in the shade don't seem to have many. I checked 6 hives today and only saw one SHB. We have had tons of rain so far this Spring. Maybe they don't like damp weather.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Like any insect temperature will effect when the grub pupates and turns and emerges as a flying beetle. cold and rain I think is just delaying the hatch but when the ground temp rises the beetle could become a problem fast. good observations on the conditions of the beetles in your hives.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I most definitely have seen a drop in the numbers of beetles this year.............at least so far! (knocking on wood) I am inclined to agree with apis that with the wet cool spring we are having it is just a matter of time.

4. SkyeFeetham

SkyeFeetham New Member

I agree with you these battles look fine in proper time, otherwise you didn't enjoy anything in this. I can't see this any more may be it's because people are losing interest in it.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

I had lots of rain and it sure did not stop the shb in my hives and they seem to be running over, so I got the screen bottom board with a oil pan under them and have just about wipe them out of the hives, one of the best things I think I ever done for the bees, which reminds me I need to check and change the veg. oil in them.

Ken

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The only SHB I have seen was in the swarm I caught. When I moved them to a hive, I messed up the comb and the SHB really took off and the swarm absconded. But in my four hives, I haven't hardly seen any.

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

The beetles finally got here, and they came with a passion. Fortunately, I am having the same success as you are having with the oil pans. Last year, I used plain screened bottoms. The girls kept the SHB under control, but they were still there. This year, I have oil pans under 9 of my 11 hives. I can definitely see a difference. I will be changing the last two hives next year and will use the pans on all future hives.

And, yes, don't forget to change that oil! I let a couple go too long. I changed them out last week and the oil was so rancid, I thought I was going to hurl my lunch. I'm surprised my girls didn't leave . . .