Where I live

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Mar 6, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just thought a few of you might like to know a little about where PerryBee lives up in "Tundraland".

Wolfville is in the Annapolis Valley (farmbelt) of Nova Scotia, and is right next to the Bay of Fundy. We have the highest recorded tides in the world here at 52 feet!
    Here are a couple of videos just to give you an idea.
    The second one is at Halls Harbour, about 15 minutes from where I live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDJ6_XpGfo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LtEF9WPt4&feature=related

It's not all snow and igloos up here folks :mrgreen: We just perpetuate that myth to keep the "softies" from invading us. :lol:

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That was crazy! Pretty neat to see where other people live around the world that have things in common. This thread could keep going. Let others post something of interest in their town. What do you think?

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

So with the morse code , are you also a HAM??

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

OH he IS a HAM alright!!:rolling::rolling:

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Lol , agreed

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I live in a sleepy part of rural eastern Tennessee on the eastern shore of Watts Bar Lake.

[​IMG]

This rural area is really full of energy! Within 30 minutes of my house is Watts Bar Site, Kingston Fossil Plant, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Until they tore down the fossil plant there, Watts Bar was the only site in the world that had nuclear power, fossil power, and hydro power on the same site. The Watts Bar Fossil Plant was the first coal plant built by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Watts Bar Unit 1 was the last nuclear plant in the country to come online. It generates 1200 Megawatts. Construction has restarted on Unit 2 and it is scheduled to come on line around 2014:

[​IMG]

Kingston Fossil Plant is in Kingston, TN. It has nine units and is capable of generating around 1200 to 1500 Megawatts. At one time it was the largest power plant in the world:

[​IMG]

Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the home of atomic power. The museum there houses the graphite reactor where scientists learned to harness nuclear power:

[​IMG]

A little farther to my south is Sequoyah Nuclear Plant just north of Chattanooga. It has two units that generate 1200 Megawatts each:

[​IMG]

I've been an operator at most of these units. I guess it's due to my electric personality. :wink:

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My Dad was a construction engineer in the Oak Ridge plants (Y-12, K-25 and X-10). I have done fire sprinkler work in all three plants. K-25 is no longer there, it was the uranium enrichment plant. Bull Run and Kingston steam plant not too far from me and I can see the lights on the bridge over Fort Loudon from the back 40. On a clear day I can see the wind mills over on Buffalo mountain.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WOW! After all that, everything around here seems so petty.

Lee Petty
    Richard Petty
    Kyle Petty
    Adam Petty
    :thumbsup: :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I remember going to the Atlanta 500 and watching Richard racing that car ( or one just like it). David Pearson driving the 21 Wood Brother's Mercury Cyclone barely beat him. :(

Back then cars were made out of steel (not plastic) and things were measured in inches (not liters) and gas was $0.32/gal. Those were the good ol' days!

11. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Wow, I guess if you're not paying attention to the tides, you're not going anywhere! :eek:

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looks like a very pretty place Perry.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey, I resemble that remark! :grin:

[​IMG]

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Greensboro NC- the Gateway city, meeting of I40 and I 85 and a Major Rail link , linking North and South
    Home of the ACC
    Sits on the Colonial Pipeline where it divides- which brings oil/ gas to the East Coast and Central states from Gulf Coast- It is a Strategic Gateway for energy, and heavily protected during 911 fallout.

Midatlantic hub for Telecommunications, we have a huge meeting of Fiber Optic networks here
    Home of Vicks Vapor Rub
    Home of VF Corporation - North Face, Wrangler to name but two important brands

Home of the Woolworth's lunch counter sit in- and now museum - important part of Civil Rights movement

Today many companies call Greensboro Home:
    Honda Aircraft Company, Lorillard Tobacco Company, Kayser-Roth, VF, Syngenta Crop Protection, Mack Trucks, Volvo Trucks of North America, RF Micro Devices, the International Textile Group, NewBridge Bank, The Fresh Market, Cook Out, Ham's, Biscuitville, Tripps, Gilbarco Veeder-Root, Daimler Buses and Columbia Forest Products. Greensboro is also a "center of operations" for the insurance company Lincoln Financial Group, Thomas Built School Buses.

Piedmont Triad International airport has 3 runways , 10,000ft, 9000 ft and 6300 ft , and is used by Military and Airforce one to practice ILS and other training flights due to low traffic and ease of position plus both long and short runways (C5 shooting approaches last night)

Other than that not much happens in Greensboro.

15. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Slowmodem;

I ran the Boats on the Tenneesse, thru Watts Bar Locks many times in the late fifties and early sixities.

Murrell