Where is Mister Wizard? A POLL...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lburou, Jan 14, 2013.

Do you squeeze the air from a carbonated beverage before resealing?

1. Yes!

10.0%
  2. NO!

40.0%
  3. Never heard of such a thing!

50.0%
  4. Not interested!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lburou

Lburou Member

I have a question about keeping carbonated drinks in a bottle after opening it. Tell me if you squeeze the air out of the bottle before resealing it, or not, and Why? :)

Please participate in the poll to show how the majority of people corral their captive carbonation. :)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I can't vote. I don't buy large bottles of soda. When I open a bottle or can, I finish it.

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

Do you want to talk about it.......? ;)

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

A neighbor told me, quite convinced, that if you cap the bottle and shake it up the pressure is restored so it wont go flat!

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I don't drink carbonated beverages. :dontknow:

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Lipton Tea isn't carbonated. No clue.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Being a member that drinks way to much diet Pepsi or diet Coke. Never drink straight water and very seldom coffee or hot chocolate. It doesn't last long enough to get flat. As i sit here looking at my glass of diet Pepsi. By the time this cup is done my intake for the day will be about 100 oz. or about three liters. This is on a day that the daytime high was -8 Deg. C. In the warm summer days it is considerably higher. I consume most of the pop from dispensing machines in restaurants. The co2 is mixed with the water. As well as co2 is used to activate the pump and then discharges the co2 in the syrup as it is pumped to the dispensing heads on the pop machine. The water to syrup mixing ratio is 5 to 1, and the co2 is infused at 90 psi into water which is at a pressure of 65 psi. When the bottle is open the co2 gas that was released from the pop leaves the bottle. Once the bottle is resealed more co2 is released until the pressure between the co2 still in the pop and the co2 gas in the air space in the bottle equalizes. It makes no different whether you squeeze the air out of the bottle or not. The co2 will keep on leaving the pop liquid until the bottle expands and can hold the pressure of the co2, equal to the co2 in the liquid. If anything the squeegeeing the air out will cause the pop to go flatter cause the co2 has to replace the air that was removed from the bottle before it can begin equalizing the pressure. The biggest variance in taste of pop comes from the water used in the mix. Filter systems can improve the taste in some cases.
    IMG278.jpg
    How is that for a bunch of useless trivia? It is kind of like Perry in the chicken thread He just wants his eggs He doesn't want to know how they are made or what went in them.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Never heard of such a thing."

I, like Keith, drink far too much pop for my own good.
    I would like to stress however, that I drink pop of a much higher quality than he does, as my standards are obviously more sophisticated.
    Only the "real thing" will do for me, none of that substitute brand.

9. Ray

Ray Member

I ain't tough enough to squeeze the air out of my beer bottles:lol:, It IS a carbonated beverage :lol:
    There is always one on the crowd (Smart @$$)

10. Lburou

Lburou Member

Apis, seems like you and I are in a different reality -in terms of consumption- than the others here ;)
    I do agree with Perry though, if it isn't Coke, I'm not interested unless its a root beer float. Apis, are you bothered by gout yet? :)

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like iddee said, i drink small cans and finish it,also if i or one of my brothers hand the otherone a can of pop,we wouldn't pull the tab, we would get anotherone.:lol: Jack

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sensuous: Sensuous up, would you get me another can of coke?

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Seldom buy a container of soda larger than 16 oz. and my drink of choice is hot coffee. Jim

14. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Ya, coffee for me too but it is a love hate association; easy to overdo. Now I used to be able to get rid of a fair bit of rum if I diluted it with just a tad of coke. I think it was the coke that upset my stomach though!

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Isn't that something old sailors get? "gout whats that" no no problems every one that knows me thinks I'm preserved in the stuff.
    I use to drink Coke from the can, when they came out with diet coke and the "Just For The Taste Of It." tag line. I gave it a try and it wasn't that bad so I had a few more. It was a whole lot better tasting than the Tab sugar free pops. Then I went back to the classic Coke and I found it to sweet. I've been drinking diet ever since. I do maintenance work at Dairy Queen and Burger King so if I'm there I have a glass on the go and one to go. I even fix the pop machines. Dq is Pepsi, Bk is Coke, so I drink what is available. I prefer Pepsi though.

16. Omie

Omie New Member

Yikes, I can't even imagine drinking that much soda every day....! :shock:

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Keith.
    There was no BK when I was last there. Is the DQ still next to where the old Econo Gas station was? That was my first "real" job, (where I needed a Social Insurance Number to get hired) pumping gas for $1.85 and hour! :lol: When I left I was making $2.15! :thumbsup: :rolling:

18. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Dairy Queen is in the Pizza Patio building, the old DQ building is a Telus mobile phone store and Burger King is across the road from where McDonald was in front towards the highway of Dunbar's Auto. Econo gas is no more the building is a Papa Murphy's drive thru take it home and cook it yourself pizza place. I pumped gas at Texaco up the street which is now a Carl's Jr.

19. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I drink soda. lots of it. I am a soda connoisseur. Sorry to say I like my soda flat. mainly becasue I run around with one of the 64 oz mugs all day so nealry all the soda I drink is flat in minutes after pouring it. I also like it just a tad under room temperature.

I really do have the taste of Pepsi or Coke dialed in. I can brix a soda fountain better by taste then the bottling Co. guy can do it with his chemistry set. I like Coke from a fountain or bottle but prefer Pepsi from a can.

20. Hawk

Hawk New Member

No sodas in our household. Then again - my kids do like an occasional (1-2 times a year) root-beer fountain drink if it's a special occasion - but I don't buy them from the grocery store.