Where should I have the feeder jar?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by rw02kr43, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

We just got our bees last Saturday. I have a feeder jar with the bottom for putting it in the front. But, if I put it there I can't use my entrance reducer. I have it on the smallest opening right now. So, for the meantime I put the feeder jar on top of the inner cover and put another deep box around it then the cover on top. I have looked in and seen bees under the bottle, but the food doesn't seem to be disappearing fast. Should I remove the entrance reducer and put the feeder there? Are my bees just liking their new home so much that they don't need to eat the food? When should I remove the reducer or open it up more?

Jason

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can put it on front and cut a piece of wood to close off the bottom except for an inch on the far side from the feeder. With the setup you have, it will work fine IF the bees CANNOT get into the protective box. If they can, they will hang wild comb there rather than use the frames below.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Is it possible the bees have found something they like better, so that they're not taking the syrup?

4. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

The bees can get into the protective box, but there are no frames in there. It's just an empty box. So far I haven't seen them building any comb in there

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Empty space with no frames is the worst thing you can have in a hive. They will hang comb from the lid and you will have a mess on your hands.

You can believe me or wait and see. It will happen.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

check the feed jar to make sure the holes are not plugged shut. you may have a flow on and they usually wont take feed if something better is out there

7. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

The way I feed

I like using this top feeder I build. As you can see it serves as a telescopic top when not being used as a feeder. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10708136/2012-06-16 07.23.51.jpg