where to buy a nuc in reno?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by milapostol, Feb 16, 2012.

1. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Hi,
    Someone new to beekeeping just asked me where he could buy a nuc in his area of Reno. Since I don't live there, I thought I'd throw it out to you guys. He says it seems the closest would be Central California, but that would be quite a drive. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

got me... there are a lot of bees from California that go thru Nevada on their way to Utah and Montana.

3. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Nope, I had it wrong but there is a listing for
    Northern Nevada Apiary Society.

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

Taber's Honeybee Genetics in Vacaville, CA is only a few hours away (http://www.honeybeegenetics.com/home.html) - I have a queen of theirs that is overwintering in ND well. I am pretty sure that they sell nucs.

Also, Dennis Lohman is in Arbuckle, CA (530 476 2322) - also only a few hours from Reno. He has OWC queens and I think that he sells nucs as well. I had one of his queens and it did well for me (lots of propolis though).

Mike

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I was under the impression that Nucs could be sent by mail or some other form of delivery service. Has this option closed down? :confused:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think perhaps Omie obtained one of these from fatbeeman. perhaps one of them can give us some input here. BWeaver I do know ships nucs but these are by their own private carrier.