Where to place my hive?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beelover, Dec 14, 2011.

1. beelover

beelover New Member

I'll be setting up my first hive soon. I've heard to put it in the sun, I've heard to put it in the shade. I'm confused and need help. I do know it should face the morning sun. It gets very hot here in the summer - 90's - 100+. Heat index over 100 on some days. I have a lot of pine trees. Should the hive be placed under the pines or out in the direct sun? Does it have to have the sun shining on it most of the day? Any help will be appreciated!

Newbie here.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Until the small hive beetle was brought to the US, it was recommended to have morning sun and afternoon shade. Since the arrival of shb, it has been found that they do much better in full sun. The bees will make it either way, but the shb love shade. Therefore, if you have shb in your area, full sun. Otherwise, morning sun and afternoon shade is best, but not mandatory.

PS. Access to water is mandatory.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to the forum. The best location is with the entrance facing south or east, where they will have full sun in the morning and dappled sun in the afternoon.
    Get into the members section here, and look up Mama Beek. She's in your neighborhood.
    Good luck.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

beelover:
    :hi:
    You have found a great resource of information just by finding this forum. :mrgreen:
    Very friendly here and answers to questions are quick to come.
    NC seems to be a hotbed for beekeepers and there are some very knowledgable ones on this forum. Even one of the site admins (Iddee) knows a little about bees. :lol:

http://www.guilfordbeekeepers.org/

5. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

I have some in full sun and some that are not without choice and the ones in the fun sun defiantly does better and are more active and head out earlier. More sun helps with curtain types of diseases and pest. If in full sun, ventalation is key when its hot. I dont worry about direction or wind

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

beelover writes:
    It gets very hot here in the summer - 90's - 100+. Heat index over 100 on some days.

tecumseh:
    well here the heat index can go way past 100 for months. as you can see from the post above the choice of location is now somewhat to highly directed by the biology of the small hive beetle. not the most serious of pest but one of recent introduction so beekeepers are doing what bee keepers have always done and are adapting themselves to the new pest (and you thought the bees were all that needed to adapt right???).

to broaden your understanding somewhat in regards to the small hive beetle soil type also plays some role in how well they will do at any location. when it gets extremely dry here those sites with sand the small hive beetle doesn't do well (<I think this is a lack of moisture issue. in one site I have which is a solid rock outcropping they also don't fare so well there no matter what. based on these very unscientific observations I suspect most folks would do well to limit organic accumulation around hives and this in itself would somewhat to highly limit the small hive beetles biology.

the old books use to say in regards to site location of apiary... a well drained and accessible site with the direction of the entrance somewhat southward. excess moisture and turning a hive's entrance northward can increase certain disease (nosema being the prime one I recall from my reading) that are much more worry some than the small hive beetle.

mesquite is a really nasty brush type here in Texas (lots of thorns but makes for great bar-b-que wood) and it does produce some thin shade that somewhat mask the suns capacity to build up heat all day long. my preferred location is a line of mesquite that gives just a bit of shade in the late evening or afternoon.

7. Tyro

Tyro Member

If you put them in full sun, you can put them over screened bottom boards. That should help them ventilate the hive and stay cool even when it is quite hot.

Mike

8. beelover

beelover New Member

Thank you for all the useful information - it is helping me feel more comfortable about my choice of placement. Big thanks to Tecumseh for the beetle info. Since my yard is dry and sandy - I guess I shouldn't worry about the problem so much! :thumbsup: