Where to place new queen?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by LtlWilli, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I am getting a new queen today to try and get a small hive to accept her...I received a dead queen yesterdayand she came in a little container that all I could figure for positioning was just laying on top of the frames--no attachment or ledges. Only a double cylinder(round)... Should I drop it down in between the frames or lay it on top?
    LtlWilli

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

most folks wedge the introduction cage between the frames top bars. if you have space you could simply lay the introduction cage on top of the frames. with hot weather remember that the top of the hive does get extremely hot. cc miller (I think this reference is correct) stated that he simply shove the introduction cage in the front door and left it on the bottom board <this may well work but doesn't sound so good so I wouldn't try this myself with a queen I had paid good money for.

3. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I may end up placing her on top. If the shipping container is the same as the last, I'll have to, because it's all round in shape.
    LtlWilli

4. Larus

Larus New Member

Another option that might work is a big rubber band (big enough to stretch across the frame). Stretch the rubber band horizontally across the frame, position it close to the top of the frame, and stick the queen "cage" under the rubber band.

5. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Don't think I've seen a cage like the one you describe. Sounds like a hair curler cage. If it is screen, can you stick a tooth pick through one end and let the cage hang down between the frames? I use this method with JzBz cages all the time.

6. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I know I've never seen one like this. There is no built-in form about it to help it stay stable in one place...I hope the one today is a wire cage. I really do.
    LtlWilli

7. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I wrapped a wire tie around one of mine and hooked the other end over a frame.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's a dealer here in NC that makes up hundreds of nucs annually with bought queens. He just places then on the bottom board and they do very well.