Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Marty:
All of them are great shots, I really like Monterey #3 on the pink buckwheat-but the judges probably would deduct points because of the subject (bee) not being centered. Ohio #7 is a perfect photo, but there is too much yellow-not enough contrast. My vote would probably go to Ohio #3-honey bee on ecinacea.
Again, they are some great photos. Thanks for posting them, and please post more.
Rodger

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rodger - I could re-crop #3 to center the bee if that makes it a better photo (the originals are pretty hi-resolution and these have already been cropped down). I really like the flower in that shot but wish the bee was facing the camera. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That might work. I really like the photo, but it seems like the photographer isn't sure what he is trying to capture. (I took a course on photography too many years ago-it's funny what you remember many years later) If you can crop and re-post, I'd like to steal it and use it as my wallpaper on my computer.
Rodger

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I submitted the newly-cropped image to the same album; let me know what you think. My original idea was to throw the subject (the bee) off center under some sort of rule-of-thirds philosophy (plus it gives more of the frame to the color and shape of the flower). I've never entered a photography contest before, but years ago when I was into film photography I was in a club and that always seemed popular with the people critiquing photos.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I like that one better. I know what you mean about the rule of thirds, but, in my (sometimes off-track mind) the subject of the contest is bees on flowers. Like you, I was into film photography years ago, (my first was a Ricoh 500G), and the course I took was from the photogs viewpoint, not a judges. I was evaluating the photo from my admittedly biased viewpoint. I like it better with the subject centered. If it don't win, you have my permission to cuss me out.
I would like your permission to use that photo as my wallpaper on my computer. I know I could pirate it, but I don't do things that way.
Again, good luck with the competition.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Picture number 4 is my choice---I particularly liked those filled pollen baskets.
But as said by the others--they are all winning shots.
Hope you come home with first prize.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts