Which pic is the best?

Discussion in 'Bees' started by mjrice, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Next month I'm entering one of my bee photos in the regional county fair (the subcategory is just for photos of bees on flowers). I'd love to hear which of these you think are the best, since I can only choose one to enter:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mrice411/H ... directlink

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Marty:
    All of them are great shots, I really like Monterey #3 on the pink buckwheat-but the judges probably would deduct points because of the subject (bee) not being centered. Ohio #7 is a perfect photo, but there is too much yellow-not enough contrast. My vote would probably go to Ohio #3-honey bee on ecinacea.
    Again, they are some great photos. Thanks for posting them, and please post more.
    Rodger

3. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Rodger - I could re-crop #3 to center the bee if that makes it a better photo (the originals are pretty hi-resolution and these have already been cropped down). I really like the flower in that shot but wish the bee was facing the camera. Thanks for the feedback.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

That might work. I really like the photo, but it seems like the photographer isn't sure what he is trying to capture. (I took a course on photography too many years ago-it's funny what you remember many years later) If you can crop and re-post, I'd like to steal it and use it as my wallpaper on my computer.
    Rodger

5. mjrice

mjrice New Member

I submitted the newly-cropped image to the same album; let me know what you think. My original idea was to throw the subject (the bee) off center under some sort of rule-of-thirds philosophy (plus it gives more of the frame to the color and shape of the flower). I've never entered a photography contest before, but years ago when I was into film photography I was in a club and that always seemed popular with the people critiquing photos.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I like that one better. I know what you mean about the rule of thirds, but, in my (sometimes off-track mind) the subject of the contest is bees on flowers. Like you, I was into film photography years ago, (my first was a Ricoh 500G), and the course I took was from the photogs viewpoint, not a judges. I was evaluating the photo from my admittedly biased viewpoint. I like it better with the subject centered. If it don't win, you have my permission to cuss me out.
    I would like your permission to use that photo as my wallpaper on my computer. I know I could pirate it, but I don't do things that way.
    Again, good luck with the competition.

7. jb63

jb63 New Member

I like Monterey #1,but they are all good.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I like #2 and #7. If I had to pick one it would be #2.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Picture number 4 is my choice---I particularly liked those filled pollen baskets.
    But as said by the others--they are all winning shots.
    Hope you come home with first prize.