Which would you grab?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Omie, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Here's a fun game-

If you were on your way out the door to go inside 6 of your your hives (to look for queens let's say), and went to get your smoker and your head veil....and ONE of them was missing...

which one would you want to be able to take- your smoker, or your veil, -if you could only bring one of the two things to the bee yard?

No cheating now, you can't answer a full body suit, or gloves, etc. Just choose between the smoker and the head veil on the way to inspect your bees. :chased: :lol:

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wrong answer, Gun.

With the smoker, you have a fair chance of a successful trip. Without it, you will either get many stings, or, your clothing will receive many stings, resulting in many dead bees. Either way, an unsuccessful trip.

I always smoke first, check hive temperament, and don veil only when needed. Retreating would be just as easy on those rare occasions.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Veil

I could live with the stings on my body, but with a pretty face like mine I can't take chances! :mrgreen:

This is a good question, there have been nice days where no smoke was necessary, and days where no veil was necessary, BUT, even after a lot of stings, the ones to the face still hurt like h..l.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

It's a hard choice for me, but I'd prolly bring my veil.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I would smoke them into submission ... :lol:

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

smoker, well placed smoke will keep you and the rest of the neighborhood safe and relatively quiet

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Definitely veil! Dr. Connor and others recommend a minimum of smoke when working with queens. Unless conditions are absolutely terrible, my bees are so gentle I need neither a veil nor smoker. When the latest group of new beekeepers from USFBG join the forum they will tell you! Am I right Crackerbee?

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

veil here, I almost never smoke now, just on 1 hive thats a bit nasty but even then just a little, they bump my head sometimes and some buzzing little but nothing bad at all.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Veil, i'm not as pretty as perry and i can't afford any more ugly. :mrgreen: Jack

11. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

Veil for me. I have curly hair and bees have a nack of flying right into it and getting stuck....then the terror starts "BZZZZZZZ" and my frantic panic of swatting at my head

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I'm w/ iddee. Definitely the smoker. I have worked plenty of hives w/out a veil. I would never work a hive w/out a smoker. Purely foolhardy in my opinion.

What can you do w/ a veil that you can do w/ a smoker?

Use of a smoker to me is like going to see a neighbor. I always knock on my neighbors' door before entering. Even if I knock and then letr myself in, I always knock. It's just polite.

Smoking at the entrance of a beehive is like knocking at the door. It lets the bees know you are coming in. I can't do that w/ a veil.

I noticed nothing other than a veil or a smoker was mentioned. So, if one chose the veil, how much work could you do in a hive w/out a smoker and GLOVES. Could you open the lid, remove the top box, look thru all the frames in each box to find the queen, find her, and put everything back together before you took so many stings you would want to give up on bees?

I've worked 80 hives at a time w/out a veil. No way I would have tried w/out a smoker. Whatever floats your boat.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Given that 90% of the time my smoker dies out just when I need it, I would take my veil.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

One answer to Omies question, would depend on the time of year,i've seen times during a flow you could work them in your bathing suite? and during robbing, you better have a full suite. I always wear a veil, if the bees are hot i back off. I always have a smoker going if needed, and have worked hives that a smoker made things worse. :confused: I like to get buy with using a spray bottle of 1 to 1 sugar water, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. With the many years of taking stings, i'm sticking with the veil ( i like my eyes):mrgreen: Jack

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i would take the smoker over a veil

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

smoker here, if the smoke don't work they are still going to sting. Most times you just have to know when to back off and give them a little time.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Given that this is supposed to be an equal opportunity beekeeping site G3, I am sure there must be some video of the fairer sex doing some natural beekeeping as well? :mrgreen:

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Now THAT would be the "Dance of the Seven Veils"!!!