white eyed drones?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping Biology' started by tecumseh, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have noticed a corovan queen raised by me here who has these somewhat startling white eyed drones. kind of popped my head about, since at first I could not believe what I was seeing.

anyone know what kind of genetics is required for this kind of thing to happen? can the drones see or not? I wondered if it was a form of albino-ism?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Never seen that, got any pics?

G3

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when my wife returns from a conference in Arizona I will get her to take some pictures. she finds this kind of thing fasinating and she is quite handy with a camera (and I am death to anything with electronics).

4. TwT

TwT New Member

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think I have run into a reference to the white eyed drone. laidlaw's queen rearing book states (extremely brief) there are mutations on the gene for eye color are called snow and tan. a double recessive (in the females) for tan produces red eyes in the workers (I think that is how it goes???). the expression of the color of the eyes in the male is only due to it haploid composition of it's genetic makeup of drones.

the drones that do have snow or tan eyes are blind. since the gene expression is non lethal but makes the drone non functional (can't propoerly fly) the gene is not passed on in a reproductive sense. that is the recessive gene is passed on thru the female side of the linage where the recessive is coupled with the more common dominate black color of the eyes.