Who Hoo Rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniel Y, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I live in the dessert so we never see a lot of it. But the timing is perfect. Being a dessert the plants that grow here are genetically prepared to take fast advantage of even small amounts of rain. It makes the entire dessert blossom over night. We have been getting what is for us a lot of rain all night and I can here it falling as I type. Rain for us is measured in hundredths of an inch.

As far as My bees go they are very busy and this will cause there to be plenty of forage. They where able to make 90 lbs or more of honey in the driest hottest part of our year. no telling what this will allow them to do. I have a deep and a med super on the hive I was on the edge of my seat wondering if they could get them filled. This will give them a much better chance to find that nectar. The native plant life can do a whole lot with very little.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What would be your biggest bloomers in the desert?

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Right now rabbit brush. Soon Sage brush. But with rain we get anything and everything. Calofornia Poppies are one to take quick advantage of rain and there seems to be a lot of the seed just laying and waiting for it. Rain will even cause cactus to bloom. Rabbit Brush is already trying to bloom even with it being hot and dry. the moisture will just allow it to do so in a big way.

There are a ton of wildflowers etc and I don't even begin to know the names of all of them. they can literally pop up flower seed and die off in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I tried growing some tobacco out in the desert this year and irrigated it with a drip system. In the 4 weeks we where actually watering entire bushed sprouted up that are now over 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter. they will have blossomed seeded and died in the next couple of weeks. I can;t identify most of them and they go by names like Rosinweed, Rareweed, gumweed or some sort of cheet grass etc. Tiny flowering weeds that don't get more than a couple inches tall. but they will carpet the ground for just a few days. then seed out shrivel and be gone.